MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Thinking Particle Unreliable Collision problems

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Murphy
Thinking Particle Unreliable Collision problems
on Nov 25, 2011 at 3:56:29 am

I can rarely get the collision with thinking particles to work. It seems to be more unreliable the crazier the particles get as far as their speed. This usually causes the particles to pass through any collision specified barrier. I've read that there is no subsampling for collisions in C4D, is that true and would it help?

Any suggestions you can offer for reliable collision detection with fast moving particles?

My scene - I have particles pouring into a cross section of a tube. I have a plane (collider) blocking the halfway point of the tube so the particles can't come out and there is an object (another collider) that eventually plugs up the tube stopping the particles and causing them to bounce away. At some point some particles will escape any and all colliders when they bounce off of one or two surfaces at close distances to one another, causing their speed to be increased...that's when the trouble starts.

I have this project due on Monday and am desperate - I've tried all the different settings for the colliders and have modified them until I ran out of options....still looking for a solution.

Any help? (Happy Thanksgiving by the way!)

Brian

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Thinking Particle Unreliable Collision problems
on Nov 25, 2011 at 4:58:57 am

The old dynamics solver had settings for sub frames but I don't remember anything for TP xpresso nodes... but somebody might. Can you use/do you have access to the new Dynamics?

Return to posts index

Brian Murphy
on Nov 25, 2011 at 4:01:35 pm

I do have dynamics but I need these particles to hover until they go into the tube. I could never override the gravity in dynamics to have the particles simply float through the air and bounce correctly like I can with TP....or am I missing something?

Agreed - I really like the dynamics collision sampling - reliable.

Thanks for answering,
Brian

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 25, 2011 at 6:03:20 pm

you can turn off/adjust/animate the Dynamics gravity in the Cinema 4D Document settings in the AM - they show up first by default and you can always back up to it using the AM arrows or by choosing Document in the AM's Mode menu (in 12 and 13 anyway)

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Nov 26, 2011 at 4:19:54 pm

Unfortunately there is no sub-sampling in TP. The workaround is to simply jack up the framerate in Cinema and then sample it back down in post.

Return to posts index

Brian Murphy
on Nov 27, 2011 at 2:42:59 am

Hey thanks guys. Mr. Jones, you've inspired me to retry the standard particle emitter with dynamics. I was able to modify the gravity and was extremely pleased with the reliable collision detection. After many trial and error attempts, I ended up with what I wanted.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 27, 2011 at 8:50:06 am

cheers back at you, good to hear

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]