MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Cinema 4D 3D Earth.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew JavelinCinema 4D 3D Earth.
by on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:39:23 am

Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum but have found myself getting linked back here while searching google for help.. I am somewhat of an amatuer C4D user and have been tinkering with 3D Planets for some time... I have a goal of getting a photorealistic earth. I am making some good headway combining a bunch of tutorials I have found across the web.

I am looking for some help in mapping panels to a sphere... I hit the limit of the texture quality the NASA 26K texture maps could provide and ended up downloading a set of 8 Panels of the earth split into parts (A1,B1,C1,D1 / A2,B2,C2,D2)... I cant figure out how to map those panels to my terrain sphere (my planet is made up of 3 spheres).

Could somebody help me with a simple explanation on how I can do this?

Also could you please tell me if the project scale matters so much?? right now my planet is made up of spheres that are 100cm across... if I went to full scale is there a benefit to that? And no I will not have any other objects in the scene... its just that planet.

Oh a link on where my planet is at so far...

This one is most current:

This link is old, before I had revamped the atmosphere...

Thanks for your time in advance!

Return to posts index

Graham QuinceRe: Cinema 4D 3D Earth.
by on Nov 23, 2011 at 9:47:10 am

That's a really nice video you've done.

I've also downloaded those same panels and just lined them up in Photoshop to produce a massive PSD. The quality is really amazing.

I don't think scale has any effect. I've never noticed any difference anyway. Sometimes, for camera angles and moving objects around, you'll notice a if you're using an extreme scale.

For my Earth, I plugged in the real dimensions, then divided by 100 (I think - my planet is ~4000m). This allowed me to put in the Moon and some other objects at the correct distance ratio.

Graham - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved