MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Environment vs Luminance in glass dome

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jon sendallEnvironment vs Luminance in glass dome
by on Nov 8, 2011 at 6:29:30 pm

Here's an interesting problem. I have a glass dome which I wanted to have the image of the universe not necessarily reflecting but coming off the glass surface as if it's in there. Now I created a number of tests with materials and even followed the advice here somewhere of putting the image through a luminance channel and so on. I wanted the black of the universe image become transparent so that you could see what was going on inside as well. Well that didn't work. I even alpha channelled the image so the the black disappeared but it still looked wrong as it didn't have that "inside a glass" feel to it.

So then I found a nice solution which was to put the image through the environment channel. It worked beautifully. There is more luminescence in environment channel than the luminance channel if you can believe that! Only one problem now. When I want to rotate the object in animation of course the environment stays where it is as it should. Is there any way to cheat that? Somehow I want the image to animate a slow roll on the dome surface?

Story, not pixels.

JPSendall

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Environment vs Luminance in glass dome
by on Nov 9, 2011 at 1:25:45 am

the environment is independent of the texture mapping, the only way I can think of is to put everything (including the camera) in a null and rotate that

Return to posts index

jon sendallRe: Environment vs Luminance in glass dome
by on Nov 12, 2011 at 1:14:48 am

I was afraid that might be the case.

Story, not pixels.

JPSendall

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]