MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Depth Map - blurred objects in front of in focus objects don't work (In After Effects)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian MurphyDepth Map - blurred objects in front of in focus objects don't work (In After Effects)
by on Oct 26, 2011 at 7:32:09 pm

I'm sure some of you have experienced this....if so, how did you remedy it?

I have front focus and a rear focus set up on my camera that is moving through an environment. There are objects falling from the sky and if one of these objects is not in focus but is in front of something in focus, the depth map will not process properly in After Effects. The depth map file certainly renders correct with the 256 grays but in using the Lens Blur with it, it won't blur that object like it should. The object may appear slightly blurred but not accurately blurred.

Does anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Depth Map - blurred objects in front of in focus objects don't work (In After Effects)
by on Oct 28, 2011 at 6:31:06 pm

Hey Brian,

First, make sure you are rendering the dept pass to a least 16 bit file, and preferably 32 bit.

Second, when rendering a dept pass for post effects I generally only render front or rear blur -- not both. The lens blur effect allows you to pick the focal point based on the grayscale value, so if you have front and rear blur it make result in a situation where the effect thinks you have two planes in focus.

Return to posts index

Brian MurphyRe: Depth Map - blurred objects in front of in focus objects don't work (In After Effects)
by on Nov 1, 2011 at 5:09:47 am

Thanks Adam - I guess this answers the question as to whether or not I am able to use two planes of blur, which is what I was trying to accomplish.

Yea, one blur or another works fine but both simply won't work.

Thanks for confirming.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]