MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Compositing File Cinema 4D R13 - Freeze

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Biederbeck
Compositing File Cinema 4D R13 - Freeze
on Oct 20, 2011 at 6:16:10 pm

Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone else is unable to save a compositing project file from R13. I've experienced this in the past to some degree, but currently I am having the problem with very simple scenes.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Compositing File Cinema 4D R13 - Freeze
on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:42:58 pm

Did you replace the R12 AE plugin with the one that came with R13?

Return to posts index

David Biederbeck
on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:58:48 pm

Are you referring to the ae plugin to be installed my ae folder? The freeze happens at export, not import to ae. if there is another plugin I need to export I am not aware of it

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Oct 20, 2011 at 11:52:55 pm

Ah, sorry. Bad assumption on my part.

Is there any commonality you can determine for when it freezes?

Return to posts index

Osiel Garcia
on Dec 4, 2011 at 6:33:52 pm

Hi,
were you able to solve the problem? Iam going through the same situation at the moment and is driving me insane, any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

Return to posts index

David Biederbeck
on Dec 4, 2011 at 6:58:52 pm

No, I have not. I have talked with Maxon on the phone twice. I uploaded the file to them and they were able to export just fine.

I took the file home and it was able to be exported just fine. So, they said my best bet was a re-install.

So, lets compare and see if there are any similarities.

Problem machine:
8 core Mac Pro
OSX 10.6.8
32Gigs Ram
Programs, startup disk and the export location are all on separate drives. This shouldn't be a problem, but just in case.
Nvidia video card.

I can't think of any other variables.

Return to posts index

Osiel Garcia
on Dec 4, 2011 at 7:23:16 pm

Thanks a lot, i will try to re-install it and see what happen.

Return to posts index

Osiel Garcia
on Dec 4, 2011 at 7:27:18 pm

Pretty close to mine:
Mac Pro 8 Core
OSX 10.6.8
16 gb of ram
Start up disk and export location both in separate drives
Default Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 ( could this be the issue?)

Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Biederbeck
on Dec 4, 2011 at 9:10:46 pm

Maybe? It sounds like we both have the stock video card... but then again, so does just about everyone who has that computer and uses Maxon... so, It seems there would be more people complaining. I'm not at work, try exporting to the same drive that your program is running on?

Return to posts index

Osiel Garcia
on Dec 4, 2011 at 9:17:41 pm

You are right, i will give it a try and export to my main HD. Thanks a lot, i will let you know.

Return to posts index

Jared Flynn
on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:28:51 pm

Hi there David,

I'm a little late to the party here but I've had the same problem several times in my projects, and I've managed a workaround in my situations.

For me, the problem NEVER happens when I'm saving compositing project files of DRAFTS (Standard renderer, no bells or whistles, usually with a resolution of 960x540), but when I go for the final compositing pass (often the Physical renderer, 1920x1080, AO, motion blur, DOF, etc), that's when Cinema pooches and hangs.

My current specs, for the record:
Lenovo ThinkPad W701 on Windows 7 Professional SP1
1.60GHz Intel Core i7 (quad core / hyperthreaded)
16GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX 2800M

I've found a couple of different techniques have worked around this problem, depending on the scene. Hopefully this will work for everyone!

-If you're using the Physical Renderer, switch to Standard just to save out your project file. This was the most recent fix for me (today, actually).

-If you're already using Standard and are still having problems, try disabling several (if not all) of the geometry in your scene. Leave only the components you need active for the project file-- things like lights, objects with External Compositing tags applied, cameras, etc-- and disable everything else. I find an easy way to facilitate this is to put every object I add an External Compositing tag to in its own layer, so when the time comes I can Solo it.

This doesn't even begin to explain why this problem could be occurring-- certainly not to someone like me with no software engineering experience-- but it has brute-forced the export for me with perfect results every time I run into this problem. Tested rigorously using a steady mixture of the scientific method and pure unbridled IT rage. :)

Good luck!

Jared Flynn
Motion Graphics Designer / Lead AE
Lone Wolf Documentary Group

Return to posts index

David Biederbeck
on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:36:14 pm

Found the same work-around myself. I place all my geometry into a layer in the layer manager. And turn off the geometry from there.

Strange that so people have had this problem, yet those who do have had it consistently.

Return to posts index

David Biederbeck
on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:43:33 pm

The other thing that I have found helpful (which happened by accident as I was preparing the file for a net render) was saving the project with assets prior to export. This places all the textures in one file and seems to help.

Return to posts index

Jared Flynn
on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:47:12 pm

Great to know! I can only assume the problem's rooted in some kind of resource load or memory issue, though that would seem kind of off-base with your specs. Cinema must-- in select few environments, apparently-- just get overwhelmed by the task of parsing out a compositing file from a large, complex project.

Weird stuff, but I'm definitely thankful there are so many ways around the issue.

Cheers,

Jared Flynn
Motion Graphics Designer / Lead AE
Lone Wolf Documentary Group

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jan 24, 2012 at 11:15:33 pm

Given the relative youth of 13 and the Physical renderer have any of you submitted file and descriptions to Maxon Support - more info for them has to be good for something that is not totally consistent.

Return to posts index

Dustin Saxton
on Feb 22, 2012 at 4:31:40 am

I'm not using R13 but this thread has some life in it so I'm taking my problem here...

Specs:
Cinema 4d 11.5
After Effects CS5.5
Mac 10.7.3

I'm trying to export my Cinema 4d scene to After Effects and it's not working for me. I know all about the plugin I have to install and I have already done that. In fact, I can open of the provided .aec files in Example folder in the Exchange Plugins folder. The problem though is that I can't open the ones I'm creating myself.

So After Effects is working properly ( I think ) so I'm guessing it's something wrong with Cinema 4d. When I export a file it comes up with an icon that has a picture of a yellow triangle with an exclamation point.

Also, I've seen where people are trying to directly open the file. I'm not doing that. I'm going through the import process.

I appreciate any help that you offer me.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Briant
on Jul 8, 2013 at 1:15:24 pm

This solution definitely works for me. I don't mind turning a bunch of stuff off to save 2 hours of external compositing exports.

I usually save everything out AFTER for camera data anyways.

CHEERS!

Return to posts index

Toby Hallam
on Sep 26, 2013 at 8:40:31 am

Thanks Jared, this approach worked for me.

you are completely correct: works OK in Standard (Draft) renderer, but hangs completely when Physical renderer plus bells & whistles are on.

I guess all AE needs is the position & attributes of the cameras and targets. Perhaps the "motion camera" has settings that are not compatible or necessary with AE.

thanks anyway, you saved another 2 hours of stress

Toby Hallam
3D Motion Graphics Designer
Cisco

Return to posts index

Joseph Tam
on Feb 1, 2016 at 6:17:11 pm

Just thought I'd also add that, now in 2016 and C4D R17, the problem persists -- and switching the renderer from Physical to Standard made it work for me.

Return to posts index

Chris Jeffries
on Apr 1, 2016 at 9:14:29 pm

Another concurrence here: Cinema 4D Studio R17.048 (Build RB147424) crashes when manually saving out a compositing project file as .AEC. (Have not tested for other formats.)

Have found that switching from physical render to standard render allows me to manually export the .AEC successfully.

My current practice is to right-click on the active render setting and choose "New Child" which I then set to use the standard render whilst preserving all of the other options specified in the parent render setting.

One might also choose to use the take system to accomplish the same as it could afford more flexibility.

Interestingly, when the project is set to save the compositing file automatically as part of the render (I.E. at the end of the render sequence) it saves the .AEC upon completion without hanging / freezing / crashing even if set to use physical render.

(Of note: saving to a local hard disk on Windows 8.1. Nothing else seems significant to include; more specifics upon request.)

___

http://chrisjeffries.tv

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 1, 2016 at 9:24:54 pm

there is no official Maxon presence here so if you haven't I would submit a report to Maxon Support as well

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]