MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Tweaking Placement Of Clones On Spline

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jay inglesTweaking Placement Of Clones On Spline
by on Oct 16, 2011 at 5:55:08 am

Does anyone have some recommendations how to get my current render to look more like my reference, or just more interesting?

Ideally i'd love the flakes to be more randomly sized with lots of smaller flakes to allow a denser/wider result, but not cluttered. Once achieved, I will using effectors to have the flakes fly in to place and form the word.

I've read a lot of forums and spent hours tweaking some of the following settings to adjust the flake placements:
- Dynamics Tag "Collision: Shape" (so flakes space out differently)
- Shader Effector (to vary flakes)
- Random Effector (for size/position)
- Spline Effector (to form the text)

Here is a split screen of my current results VS my desired:

Download: Project file (R12)

I also couldn't figure out how to connect+delete my two splines properly. One is "closed" and the other isn't, so when i connect+delete the results are undesirable. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

randy johnsonRe: Tweaking Placement Of Clones On Spline
by on Oct 16, 2011 at 8:45:41 am

You are centering all your flakes on a spline. I think you might have better luck by extruding your text and placing the flakes on the surface. Then using the dynamics to avoid collision. (extrude distance of 0 so its still flat.)
Also using the random effecter to get more size variation will help you fill in the desired area.

If you are set on the spline effecter try setting the spline interpolation to "uniform" this will spread your clones out evenly so they don't bunch up in the corners. Also by using the random effecter you can add some Z depth and removing collision.

Hope it helps.
/Randy

Return to posts index

jay inglesRe: Tweaking Placement Of Clones On Spline
by on Oct 16, 2011 at 3:58:40 pm

Hi Randy,

I'm going to give the extrude option a shot shortly but had some luck placing the flakes manually, then using a Fracture Object with a Random Effector to transition the flakes into their final position.

I also tried your "uniform" setting but it didn't appear to do anything, tho i understand the principle of it so thanks.

Obviously placing so many by hand isn't ideal so I will give the extrude/surface a shot and hope that the "avoid collision" is adjustable enough for a pleasing result.

Thanks for taking the time to write back. If anything else comes to mind please let me know.

Return to posts index

jay inglesRe: Tweaking Placement Of Clones On Spline
by on Oct 16, 2011 at 4:39:11 pm

Hi Randy,

Using a Fracture Object with a Random Effector to transition the flakes into their final position was great, but time consuming to place all the flakes. I didn't have any luck with "uniform" setting changes, but do understand the principle behind it.

As far as the extrude option goes...

Any chance you could take a look at my project file and let me know how i may be able to space them out more evenly? I'm not a fan of the dense areas that show up darker. When zoomed in the overlaps are unattractive.

I've tried adjusting my Text Spline "Intermediate Points" as well as Dynamics Tag "Collision" (ellipsoid) but with no luck.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]