MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Page turn animation with sweep nurb, front back texture problem

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Nelson-Dooley
Page turn animation with sweep nurb, front back texture problem
on Oct 11, 2011 at 3:26:36 pm

TL;DR - Front/back textures almost work (with the help of stick texture tag) but get swapped at one point during the animation.

I built a page turn animation using a bend deformer similar to what Mike Senften describes at one point here http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/2011/01/how-to-animate-a-page-turn-with-ci...

Instead of using a flat plane, I used a sweep nurb with two bezier splines to create a page with some lift near the binding (basically I swept a hill-shaped spline along a linear spline, which yields a nice looking page). Then I used PLA to invert the hill-shaped spline as the bend deformer comes across and the page turns. This is when the texture problem occurs.

The front face's texture starts out on the front and the back on the back. Halfway through the page turn, they get switched around. Could it be that when I change the shape of the hill-shaped spline from convex to concave, that C4D is somehow reassigning the front/back faces?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Page turn animation with sweep nurb, front back texture problem
on Oct 11, 2011 at 5:04:35 pm

can you post the scene file?

Return to posts index

Jake Nelson-Dooley
on Oct 11, 2011 at 5:43:30 pm

here it is: 3060_pageturn.zip
Thanks for looking,
Jake

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 11, 2011 at 10:46:00 pm

yeah it looks like as long as it's a sweep the sides can change dynamically. If I make the pages editable it works as expected, whether that's a problem or not depends on why you used a sweepnurb and if you are doing stuff that needs that later.

Return to posts index

Jake Nelson-Dooley
on Oct 12, 2011 at 1:47:02 pm

Gotcha. Yeah, I'm working around the problem by keyframing the material's side property. The sweep nurb is nice to have b/c I can change the curl of the page. Thanks for checking it out!
-Jake

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 12, 2011 at 7:42:12 pm

I was trying Flat mapping and was having limited success there as well, it was ok in the curl part but more of a problem once it flipped over. You could also use a second deformer for the curl (maybe an FFD would work).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]