MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Animating color change on multiple objects

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diane KoroAnimating color change on multiple objects
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:08:39 pm

I have several objects with the same color blue applied; I want to animate just *one* of those objects to the color of white, then back to its original blue...then change another one to white, then back to blue, etc. (I'm highlighting one by one)...I just cant get this to work. When I select the first object to change to white, I ctrl-click on the dot next to "color" and slide it to white at which point *all* the objects change from blue to white. I can't get just *one* object to change...clearly I'm doing something wrong as usual...how can I do this right? (I know I can create a new keyframe for the object but it results in an "abrupt" change in color, not the smooth "tweening" effect).

thanks

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Animating color change on multiple objects
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:58:10 pm

with only one material on all the objects each is using an instance of the material so all should change if you change the material. You can do it with a different material for each object (the brute force approach) or better, have two materials - one blue and one white - then use the Material Tag attached to each object to keyframe between the blue and white material as desired.

Return to posts index

Diane KoroRe: Animating color change on multiple objects
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:07:01 pm

But when I do that it changes "abruptly" and not "smoothly"...unless, again I'm doing something wrong...(I drag the blue onto the object and keyframe it, then drag the white onto the same object and keyframe that at a later spot on the timeline)...

Return to posts index

by on Sep 12, 2011 at 5:27:23 pm

if you change the material by keyframing the Material selection in the Texture Tag's Tag tab (say that three times fast) - drag into the texture tag and keyframe there not onto the object - it should change over the number of frames between the keyframes.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 12, 2011 at 5:55:13 pm

Tried that...has the same effect...but thanks for the tongue twister :-)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 12, 2011 at 6:17:27 pm

it should work, something else is going on or perhaps you need to look at the Timeline's f-curveā€¦ you have to render to see the fade though, if you are looking at this in the viewport it will just snap at the keyframe...

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:55:21 pm

yep, that was it (renders fine to avi). I'm all set, thanks for the all the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]