MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Recreating pokeballs

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Sowden
Recreating pokeballs
on Aug 16, 2011 at 3:58:11 pm

So i'm an amateur at C4D but i've managed to create a pokeball with the help of a tutorial, but i'd now like to recreate this ball > http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/5b/Allballs2.png
I'm trying to create the red and black ball (third to last)

So far, i've made a hemisphere, changed the segments to 1000 and used the loop selection to deleted the bottom loop and then duplicated it and rotated it 180°
And that's created the basic ball with the small line through the middle. (although that many segments makes my computer lag)

I'm wondering how I would get that smooth curved indent going from near the middle all around the circle? I was thinking the boole tool, but I wouldn't know how to make that curve!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Recreating pokeballs
on Aug 17, 2011 at 2:47:15 pm

rather than upping the segments - maybe you could boole that with a partial torus but I wouldn't want to - instead think about HyperNurbs modelling, the polys, points and edges act as a cage for the smooth surface created by the HyperNurb. Rather than try to describe it I'll try to show you, here's quick video

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/hypernurb-example

It's quick-ish and not quite right but hopefully gives you an idea of what's possible. I'm using shortcut keys to change tools a lot so you'll have to check out the cursor icon and the Attribute manager in the lower left to see what tool I've switched to

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Aug 17, 2011 at 3:47:40 pm

lower right...

Return to posts index

Kyle Sowden
on Aug 19, 2011 at 9:04:54 pm

Thank you so much! I'll use that video as reference, but one qucik question. Will I be able to colour it correctly? With the indents being black and the rest of the ball being red?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Aug 19, 2011 at 10:31:52 pm

absolutely, if you select the polygons you want to be a particular colour then set a selection (Selection/Set Selection) then you can apply that selection to a Material tag's Selection choice to limit the texture to only that selection of polygons.

The easy way to do that is to make your polygon selection on your object then drop your material on the object in the viewport (not the Object Manager) and it will make the Selection set for you.

Return to posts index

Kyle Sowden
on Aug 20, 2011 at 12:28:34 am

Okay, not sure I followed all of that (I'm still fairly new to C4D)

But i'll try get the hang of it when I get onto my computer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]