MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

properly aligning texture

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gardner Raymondproperly aligning texture
by on Aug 3, 2011 at 11:58:47 pm

I'm trying to recreate the cover art for the Muse album just as a learning exercise -
check it out here

I'm having a lot of trouble getting this properly textured. I have this scene laid out so far, and I've been trying to use this image file (and a similar one)to color the tiles appropriately. I can get close, but not enough for me to be satisfied with it.
There's always some problem, like the image texture getting stretched, or the hexagonal pattern not aligning anywhere close to the actual hexagons. I've tried all the different projection mappings, played with the coordinates and tiling - i just can't seem to get it aligned properly.
If it's relevant, I created these hex-cylinders by laying out two offset hexagons, cloning and aligning them in a sheet, and then using a wrap deformer to make them into a tube. There's also a taper deformer on the rear hex-cylinder.

Any suggestions?
Thanks very much

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: properly aligning texture
by on Aug 4, 2011 at 3:04:27 am

it looks like it might be a lot easier to colour the hexagons individually rather than trying to fit that texture onto the sphere-ish shape. But! it depends on how it's done, if this is flat with a deformer added to it you could texture it while it's laying flat, add aStick Texture tag then Bend/Wrap/whatever. Maybe a multi shader would be good if it's still a cloner that's being bent. How is it built?

Return to posts index

Bill KellyRe: properly aligning texture
by on Aug 4, 2011 at 3:21:42 am

Doing some UVW mapping will probably get it done for you. Basically, you "unwrap" your polygon object and map it to a flat surface, whereupon you color the polygons in photoshop, save it as a file, make a material using that file, and then apply the material to your object using UVW mapping as the projection method.

Here's a tutorial that will help:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved