CPU rendering question
on Aug 2, 2011 at 2:48:04 pm

I am using C4D Studio R12 64 bit.
The system has:
12 gigs of ram
An Intel 950 Core i7 Processor
a GTX NVIDIA 275 video card.
Running on a Windows 7 64bit OS

I am trying to render a turntable of a model and it is rendering but I have noticed that the total cpu usage is around 20% of the total CPU availability.

C4D is set so that the program has high priority in resources and there is nothing else running on the machine in terms of other applications that are not background tasks needed for the system to run. Is there a reason why C4D wont use the rest of the 80% that the CPU has available to render the image?

This workstation has no other plugins installed onto C4D other than what normally comes with the Studio installation. I am rendering this model using the picture viewer instead of the render queue since when I set it to the render queue the status information it gives me states that after 15 minutes not a single frame has been finished yet with it on picture viewer render it is able to crank out a frame every 2 minutes or so.

What can I do to make C4D use the rest of the processor available on this machine to speed up the render?

Thank you all for your time!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: CPU rendering question
on Aug 2, 2011 at 4:01:55 pm

actively rendering buckets or just Preparing (that would be only using 1 core)

Return to posts index

Ramon Alvarez
on Aug 2, 2011 at 4:27:07 pm

so if using or preparing a bucket uses 1 core why does that core only run at 20% instead of rushing to 100% or close to its maximum potential in order to speed up renders?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Aug 2, 2011 at 6:13:27 pm

rendering should use all cores (unless you set a custom number of threads in the Render Preferences) but preparation between frames will use only one core. If you are using only 20% during render that's definitely not usual. (is that 20% per core or 20% overall?)

Return to posts index

Ramon Alvarez
on Aug 2, 2011 at 6:49:15 pm

If I click on my windows task manager it says that my CPU usage is around 20%, its usually lower around 17%. It also tells me that its using 7.72 GB of the available 12 gigs of ram.

I know it wont use all the 12 gigs of ram since the test model isn't too complex and it only has like 5 texture maps.

I've checked the manger settings and C4D is set to be able to use all core and threads that it wants.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Aug 3, 2011 at 2:49:41 am

All cores should be used unless you've changed the default settings in preferences>rendering, or unless you're using something that can't be split up, like uncached simulation or GI.

More information about your scene would be helpful.

Return to posts index

Ramon Alvarez
on Aug 3, 2011 at 3:00:36 pm

all cores are being used but only to a small %, around 20% total, of their full potential.

the object is made of around 20 million polygons with 5 4k texture maps. The animation is very simple. The object is just rotating a total of 3 times in order to give a turntable view of the 3d model and its textures. I am rendering the animation with GI that is at its default C4D settings.

when I render a still image of the animation all cores are used at full power or close to 100% of the available power each core can use. when I render the animation all cores are used but only to around 20% of the total power available to the cores.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]