MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Transition smoothly from 3D Page turn to 2D in AE

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy KempTransition smoothly from 3D Page turn to 2D in AE
by on Jul 21, 2011 at 6:04:53 pm

I'm working on a spot where I am taking a companies tabloid and turning it into a 3D page turn (I know, never been done before, right?).

I have the page turns set up in CInema using a single page turn with bend deformers and then making an xref of that page turn, then using a cloner and random offset, etc. ("the monkey" method). So, here is my question:

I need to be able to animate certain products on the pages in AE. What is the best way to transition into a 2D animation (closeup of the pages)? Is there a way to use an external compositing tag on the pages and replace pages in AE? I don't want to have to cheat by using some awkward transition into the AE part.

Return to posts index

Greg BurrusRe: Transition smoothly from 3D Page turn to 2D in AE
by on Jul 22, 2011 at 2:44:31 pm

Not sure how your scene is setup so this could totally(...) fail but my thought is have a compositing tag on the page to make the area.

Then you could have a still from your ae animation for the begining when the page turns. Once the page is done filpping you could comp on the ae animation after the still shot page using your buffer image to mask the area.
I'm thinking you would have do some layer mode blending and/or deforming the ae comp for animation on the book using the built in tools or freeform since it can deform in 3d space I believe. You could use the still method when you need to change the page.

This might still be awkward since you do have to wait for the page turn to finish. Ideally it would be cool to keep it moving during the page turn. But other then putting animation on the texture or using some other high end compositing software I don't know how though I'm sure I've seen this done somewhere...

Hope this helps some what, and if you don't mind please share your solution

greg - Blog - Portfolio

Return to posts index

Jeremy KempRe: Transition smoothly from 3D Page turn to 2D in AE
by on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:23:37 pm

Thanks Greg, good thoughts. I'll keep poking at it for a bit longer. Since I have a limited time an 4 versions of the spot to do, I don't think using the animation as a texture is an option. Every example I have been able to find has cheated at this very point.

Here is the example closest to my setup...

Thanks again! Will def. let you know what I end up with!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved