MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

rendered alpha problems

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nicholas whitlock
rendered alpha problems
on Jul 12, 2011 at 4:26:48 pm

Hello,

I've set up a scene in R12 using projection man with hand painted textures projected onto several objects. When I render the scene as a whole, the alphas in the materials work fine and everything that is supposed to be transparent is.

However when I try to render an object on its own to take into AE, the alpha includes the entire plane/object rather than just the painted elements. I'm sure I'm missing something simple but I can't seem to figure this one out. Below you will see the island rendered on its own with the incorrect alpha and then rendered with the other elements and appearing correctly in the scene.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: rendered alpha problems
on Jul 12, 2011 at 9:14:11 pm

Did you enable the alpha channel in your render settings?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

nicholas whitlock
on Jul 12, 2011 at 9:20:56 pm

Yes, in the "save" section of the render settings I have PNG as the format and alpha channel and straight alpha checked.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 13, 2011 at 1:09:40 am

Do you have a background object in the scene?

Return to posts index

nicholas whitlock
on Jul 13, 2011 at 4:03:26 pm

No there is no BG object other than a few flat polys for the sky and clouds that I hide when rendering.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 13, 2011 at 4:19:56 pm

Strange. Any chance you can post a file?

Return to posts index

nicholas whitlock
on Jul 14, 2011 at 3:06:22 pm

Unfortunately I cannot. I don't own the artwork used to create the textures. I thought this would be a simple fix and I was just missing something. I'll keep playing with it some more. I might just have to export the scene to Max and re-set it up there. That is where I usually do all my matte work but I though I would give projection man a try on a simpler project like this one and see how it worked out.

Return to posts index

nicholas whitlock
SOLVED - rendered alpha problems
on Jul 14, 2011 at 8:59:11 pm

It turns out that having DOF active in the render settings was causing the rendered alphas to display the entire objects rather than just the portion that had the texture projected onto it(see pics with original post for example)

I don't know if this is a bug or just the way C4D works but hopefully this will save someone else the two days it cost me:) Moral of the story is add DOF in post for your matte painting work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]