MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Newbie with some simple C4D questions

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex King
Newbie with some simple C4D questions
on Jul 10, 2011 at 2:36:06 pm

Hello. I've already spent sometime trying to find solutions to these rather simple questions about C4D. I do apologize if it has been answered before or posted somewhere else. I am just overwhelmed right now. C4D is new to me and I would consider myself a good user of PowerDirector and an OK user on After Effects. I am starting to get my feet wet with C4D.

1. When I am in a current project in C4D, and for whatever reason, I drag (import) a new "object" into the object window, my project disappears and the new object takes its place in the viewer. Where did it go? How can I retrieve it or go back?

2. I was finally made aware of the " content browser ". It seems to me the process if importing new items must go through this " gateway ". Now I know how to add multiple objects/files onto my object module by searching the content browser and selecting/dragging the items. However, some items can't be drag and dropped, such as items in the sky folder and some of the Tex items. What is the reason for that?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Alex

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Newbie with some simple C4D questions
on Jul 10, 2011 at 3:17:36 pm

1. Objects do not replace other objects. What might be happening is that the new object is coming in in a new scene, or it might simply be covering up the original object in the editor window. If that's the case you should still see both objects in the object manager.

2. The Content Browser is odd that way. I don't know why it does that. If you can only open an object in a new scene the workaround it to select everything in that new scene, copy it, and paste it into the original scene, which is still open and selectable from the Window menu.

So, in addition to using the content browser, you can copy/paste objects between scenes, and you can also use the File>Merge command to bring new objects into an existing scene.

Return to posts index

Alex King
on Jul 10, 2011 at 4:10:00 pm

Thanks for the response Adam. In regards to question 1, I'll give another example. Lets say I am editing an exiting project called "Banana" that was brought in from a previous save. Fine. Ok, now I import another saved object called " Orange " ( by either the file>open or drag and drop to the object manager ), now the " Banana " disappears.

My goal is to combine those two projects and have them both selectable in the object module. C4D has the Banana project hidden somewhere and I don't know how to retrieve it because if I decide to exit C4D, it will ask me if I want to save the Banana project. In addition, if I want load the Banana project again, C4D tells me that it is already " loaded ".

So confusing. I am just missing something so rather simple in this process.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 10, 2011 at 4:55:53 pm

Hmm, that is strange. Here, when I drag an object from the Content Browser to the Object Manager, it adds the object to the scene. It doesn't replace the object.

Return to posts index

Alex King
on Jul 13, 2011 at 2:25:42 am

In addition to what I am describing, some will give my attempt to import a file pop up box saying " already exist in history, do you wish to reload it", click yes, and nothing happens. I don't understand.

The only cases where they will work and merge together is when the objects are brought over from the content browser. I guess it may pertain to properly setting up the content browser in folders. ???

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]