MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

smeared-out material

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerrit Velthuissmeared-out material
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 1:42:08 pm

Most smeared out materials (paste/gels/paint etc.) become more transparent when the layer gets thinner.
How can I achieve that in C4D ?
I attached an image with the rendered result with an with opaque material and the result I would like to achieve (in this case realised in Photoshop).

Return to posts index

Greg BurrusRe: smeared-out material
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:00:22 pm

One way to achieve this faded/smeared smeared look would be use a gradient in the alpha channel. You could have one texture with a color and a gradient fall off in the alpha channel on top of another texture with the base color.
You could of course make this texture in photoshop and then just apply and adjust the texture in C4D on the object. What ever works better in your project/workflow.

Hope this helps

--Greg - Blog - Portfolio

Return to posts index

Gerrit VelthuisRe: smeared-out material
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:20:05 pm

Thanks Greg, guess I have to study alpha-channels then; never really used them.
but still I hoped that there would be a real 3D solution with the transparency being a function of the material thickness, also for other situations.

In my case there is an animated (cubic) displacement map in the white material also; might make the alpha-channel option more complicated. I'll find out.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: smeared-out material
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 8:20:10 pm

You might be able to achieve something like what you're after with a fog shader.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Gerrit VelthuisRe: smeared-out material
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:11:33 pm

Yes, Michael, I looked at that option too, but couldn't get it working.
Found the solution in a cylindrical transparency mapping with the use of a gradient.
I had to skip the displacement map (which gave unwanted results with a cylindrical map) and pulled and pushed some poly's instead to get a similar result.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved