MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Hair and Boole

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andreas posterHair and Boole
by on Jul 3, 2011 at 6:55:50 am

Hi together

i´m trying to boole a plane with a hair-material attached, but only the plane disappears the hair material is still visible.

(i want to animate the grassplane moving in the invisible boole cube.)

can anyone tell me why the hair-material is still visible, and how i can make it invisible as soon as it moves in the invisivle boole cube.

i would be very gratefull for a hint.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Hair and Boole
by on Jul 3, 2011 at 10:03:09 pm

Hair is an object unto itself, it will follow the object it's rooted to but it can be unrooted and moved around independently of it's original source. So it even doesn't know the boole is changing the plane but if you put the Boole into a Connect object (in 12 at least) and then grow hair on the connect object the hair will only appear where the current geometry is, even as the geometry changes. It does't work perfectly in the editor but it renders as it should. The problem is that because the hair is interpolated from the guides the hair 'pops' in at the leading edge as the new guides pop in - so to be smoother you would want to subdivide the plane a bunch so there are more guides at the start. -- I just tried that and the Hair is shimmering, constantly changing position, so that may not be good at all...
The other way to do it is to try and control the length of the hair by setting it to zero wherever the boole object is. I tried with Proximal in the length tab of the hair material but the boole seems to break the proximal... otherwise you could animate a gradient that follows the position of the boole cube or possibly a black and white image might be easier to position..

Return to posts index

andreas posterRe: Hair and Boole
by on Jul 4, 2011 at 4:59:48 am

Hello Brian,

I fix the problem by attaching the whole boolen object (not only the plane, what i did before) direct to a hairobject, and it works.

Thank you very much for the fast reply, the detailed explanation and the various possibilities.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved