MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Changing surface on rotating cube...

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Johnson
Changing surface on rotating cube...
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:26:04 pm

Hi-
I'm looking for the best approach to apply a different image to each side of a spinning (slowly)cube and then change out those images.

At a few seconds in, a surface will need to change so while the cube is moving, I need to be able to switch the material applied.

I was thinking of using an oversized image and then just use the texture tool to move the image to the right spot while the said surface wasn't viewable..as in.. when face 2 and 4 are showing, let's say, the surface of face 5 that isn't viewable could be changed so that upon rotating back to that face, the image is different.

Not sure if I can set a keyframe and change the texture alignment at just that point on instead of affecting it globally.

Does this make sense? I just want to apply 6 different surfaces and then, change surfaces over time.

I'm in C4d12 Broadcast.

Thanks-
kj

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Changing surface on rotating cube...
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:01:12 pm

could do it with 6 materials on the cube using selections to isolate a face for each material. Then you could keyframe the texture used in each material to do the animation.

Return to posts index

Kelly Johnson
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:50:12 pm

Thanks Brian, that is working out nicely!

Return to posts index

Kelly Johnson
on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:37:33 pm

Well, there's something I'm missing.

I took a cube, clicked "separate surfaces" made editable and named each side. I put a different material on each side and keyframed some rotation.

At around 4 seconds, I keyframed the selection tag's material and swapped out the material on a hidden face. The thing is, if I use the Texture tool to reposition the new material, then back at the beginning where the original material is/was, that placement gets moved as well.

Is there a way to assign a material to a surface and be able to use the Texture Tool for precise placement...keyframe a new material on that same side and use the Texture Tool to position that new material and not have it affect the placement of the original material?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:49:26 pm

with separate faces you don't need a selection tag but either way, don't change the material, change the texture(image) inside the material. That way you don't have to realign - as long as the new image coming in is the same size etc. Maybe you will have to do some work beforehand if you are using only parts of larger images.

Return to posts index

Kelly Johnson
on Jul 1, 2011 at 8:04:12 pm

ahh.... change the image in the material, that sounds good, thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]