MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

changing mesh without screwing up texture

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Donald Mitchellchanging mesh without screwing up texture
by on Jun 21, 2011 at 1:12:30 pm

I have a model of a carton, I applied a texture to it as a flat plane and generated UV co-ordinates. Then I folded it up to form the carton. The texture is perfect. Now I want to tweak the points at the corners of the carton to improve how the folds look. When I do though the texture distorts in those areas.

I assume I'd need to tweak the UV points as well in bodypaint, but I'm pretty clueless about using it.

Is there a way to make this work that's simple, or can someone point me in the direction of a good UV tutorial that's related to boxes or packaging and not creature or character design?

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: changing mesh without screwing up texture
by on Jun 21, 2011 at 3:40:34 pm

It is a UV mapping problem, as you surmised. Unfortunately there's no quick fix for it. I don't know of any tutorials specifically addressing packaging-type stuff, but principles for UV mapping characters apply to any type of UV mapping.

Return to posts index

Blain KlitzkeRe: changing mesh without screwing up texture
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:01:54 pm

I am having a potentially similar problem. I am trying to separate wheels from a car mesh so that they can be animated. When I make changes to the mesh (ie: disconnect and delete polygons to isolate the wheels) the textures get fragged and funky: where there was once a smooth material, every polygon seems to be reflecting in different directions?

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: changing mesh without screwing up texture
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:34:01 pm

Yes, sounds like another UVW issue. Some modeling operations, like the knife tool, don't mess up UVs. Others, like extrusions, do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]