MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Curved extrusions

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James StrongCurved extrusions
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 9:24:21 am

I am still relatively new to Cinema 4D, and I am wondering how to make nice smooth curved extrusions on an object to achieve "product like" professional looking curves without using any booleans? (Doing this to base geometry not using a hypernurbs cage. For ex. capsule extrusion from one side of a cube face.) I have been trying to find out how to do this for a while now and am quite frustrated. Adding finishing touches to pieces is definitely all in the details and it's these exact details that I'm having difficulty with. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Return to posts index

Greg BurrusRe: Curved extrusions
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 4:41:32 pm

It sounds like you want to use the Bevel tool. Which achieves smooth edges as if you set rounding on a parametric object or used a hypernurbs.
You need to be in modeling mode of course and being in edge mode helps.

Structure > Bevel

This doesn't technically extrude anything though I believe, so you may be going for a different effect.

Greg - Blog - Portfolio

Return to posts index

James StrongRe: Curved extrusions
by on Jun 21, 2011 at 6:43:03 am

Maybe I should have been a little bit more specific. I believe what I am trying to do would more accurately be described as an extraction. I am trying to do the equivalent of a boolean extraction except again with out using booleans. I need nice curved extractions that look smooth throughout the entire mesh surface. My problem is that upon zooming in on a square based mesh I can not create true curves (a sphere on a square as an example) even by adding points and sliding them around. Another example - say you have a square piece of electronics and you want to make the fan exhaust holes, there is no way to do this from what I can see on the base mesh. Can somebody please help? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

randy johnsonRe: Curved extrusions
by on Jun 21, 2011 at 9:36:42 am

Its all about the number of subdivisions you have on how rounded it will be for example the sphere is not that great if you turn down the subdivisions and disable "render perfect".
So a common way to model a rounded surface is to use the knife tool to cut new edges into the base then extruding and adjusting points into a rounded shape. Sometimes modeling both shapes seperate and then bridging then together is a better alternative then again move and add points to get the curve. This is best when creating plumbing for example... be sure to use the same number of polygons around each object so they weld together point for point.
Some tools that are good for this type of modeling are the SOFT selection tool and the iron tool.

Return to posts index

James StrongRe: Curved extrusions
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:53:18 pm

Thanks a lot that really helped me. I think I have a much better idea of how to do pull off more complicated extractions now. I appreciate the help guys thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved