MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Caustics?...

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Reardon
Caustics?...
on Jun 15, 2011 at 8:57:56 pm

Hello Life Saving People,
I think I'm missing something really obvious.

I've got a narrow beam of light with surface and volume caustics "on". It is hitting a flat (but angled) surface, textured with the mirror ("silver") surface from the disco ball in the "Caustics (Volume).c4d" file in "Content Browser". My render settings have surface and volume caustics "on" as well, but I can't see the beam as it should "bounce" off the mirror......

What thoughts?.....

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Caustics?...
on Jun 15, 2011 at 11:08:55 pm

can you post the scene? If the angles are not right the caustics can be on but you see nothing. Otherwise what are the settings? ramp the strength way up to see if anything shows. And why volume caustics, with reflections only surface should be necessary I think.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:26:28 am

I think you're misunderstanding volume caustics. That refers to the focusing of light as it passes through a refractive object (think magnifying glass). AFAIK there is no way to get caustics to render volumetric light.

Return to posts index

Alex Reardon
on Jun 16, 2011 at 12:16:23 pm

Adam,
Thank you for that.
In that case, what would you suggest to create a beam of light bouncing back from a mirror? I'm in the middle of a production design for an arena tour where full colour lasers are to be used both reflecting off moving mirrors, and refracting through rotating lenses.
I have been able to fake it by using a very narrow cylinder as the beam and adding colour and glow, but I'm curious to know how to do it properly. Its all-too-easy to use the quick fix and become lazy....

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:37:12 pm

In this case I think you're doing it the only way it can be done. None of the volumetric effects appear to see caustic light.

Return to posts index

Alex Reardon
on Jun 16, 2011 at 5:42:22 pm

Hmmm, so there's no way for a spot light to actually bounce off a mirror? Surely not.
Of course as soon as someone says, "it can't be done"..... :-)

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jun 16, 2011 at 7:29:14 pm

The light itself bounces but not the volumetric beam. I've tried to make it work with pyrocluster, environmental fog, other volume lights ... even DPIT Effex smoke. No luck.

Return to posts index

Alex Reardon
on Jun 16, 2011 at 7:34:20 pm

To quote Sir Winston Churchill: "Crap".
Thank you anyway though. I shall continue fudging it.

One other question;
Is there some way to give attribute different types of spline to indevidual points within a spline? Often I'm trying to model something that starts with a curve, then hits a hard angel, then a curve etc.

Thanks again for being such an incredible resource.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jun 16, 2011 at 8:38:40 pm

My pleasure. I never thought to check before you asked.

Regarding spline points (assuming bezier spline), when you select one and right click you get the option to covnert between hard and soft interpolation. Basically all that does is move the tangent handles to the same position as the point (for hard interpolation). If you shift-drag the handles it breaks tangency so you can make sharp turns. If you double-click on the point itself it brings up a dialogue where you can set values numerically.

hth

Return to posts index

Alex Reardon
on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:48:54 pm

Oh FINALLY!
I knew it had to be in there somewhere.

Once again, thank you sir!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]