MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Suggestions on making flying ribbons

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Wilson
Suggestions on making flying ribbons
on Mar 3, 2011 at 5:00:26 am

I'm trying to re-create an animation similar to this one. I posted this question on the Motion forum becasue I was hoping it could be done only in Motion. The more I've played around with it, I think it's got some real 3D in its genes. I'm having trouble getting the "curl" right when it turns corners. It's that Caligraphy pen look that I'm going for.

Any suggestions? I'm using R12 but I've only been on it for a couple of months so I'm a newbie but I've been toying with 3D since the days of Infini-D.

Thanks so much!

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

André Irniger
Re: Suggestions on making flying ribbons
on Mar 3, 2011 at 6:35:56 pm

Hello,

I think the only things you need are:
- A spline for a path
- A small simple Spline for the shape (for example a 10x2 Rectangle) or maybe just a two point spline.
- An "Align To Spline" Tag to make the simple spline follow the path.
- A MoGraph Tracer Object which will trace the path of the small spline. This will give you the Shape you are after.
- Now you can use the spline generated from the MoGraph Tracer in a Sweep-NURBS for example to "materialize" the trace.

Make sure to choose the subdivision of the shape to trace and the spline-path wisely, as you can create very heavy objects really fast.

Also make sure to check out the Tracer Object Help (many options) and the Help for the "Align to Spline" Tag. Probably you want to enable the "tangential" checkbox on the Tag.

Cheers,
André

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
Re: Suggestions on making flying ribbons
on Mar 5, 2011 at 1:30:37 pm

thanks for the tips... It got me started in the right direction.

I ended up using a plane (like you said around 10x2) and used a spline wrap on that which references a Helix spline for direction. Then it was just a matter of keyframing the offset of the spline wrap.

The spline wrap also allowed me to play with the size controls so I could taper the rectangle.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]