MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Missing Texture Mystery

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Orrin Zucker
Missing Texture Mystery
on Feb 22, 2011 at 6:29:43 pm

Hi-

I'm a bit of a newbie...I was hoping someone could help me on this. I bought a bunch of models, and re-connected the missing textures (saving the paths to the textures when prompted).

When I cut and paste the models into another file, the textures are missing again. Also when I save it and reopen, they're gone.

Theres a ton of textures so I can't keep doing this...help!!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Missing Texture Mystery
on Feb 22, 2011 at 6:53:27 pm

Cinema has what they call absolute texture paths and relative texture paths. If you say "Yes" when prompted to copy a bitmap to the scene location then Cinema creates a relative path, meaning that the program will only look for the bitmap in the local texture directory for the file (e.g., c:\myscene\tex\mybitmap.tif). If you haven't saved the file yet, then Cinema copies the bitmap to the tex folder in Cinema's appdata folder. If you say "No" when prompted to copy the bitmap, Cinema creates an absolute path and it will look for the bitmap in it's current location.

You can convert all your absolute paths to relative paths by using the "save project" command. In that case Cinema will collect all the bitmaps used in your scene and copy them to a "tex" folder inside the project folder.

You can also use preferences>files>texture paths to specify specific directories for Cinema to search when it can't find a bitmap.

Return to posts index

Orrin Zucker
on Feb 22, 2011 at 8:01:08 pm

Thanks Adam-

It kind of worked...I saved the project and I see it copied all the textures over to a folder. I re-opened the project and it renders out fine...the problem is that when I copy everything and open a new project, about a dozen textures are missing- even though they're in the folder...

ideas?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Feb 22, 2011 at 8:42:04 pm

The new sence would have to be in the same project folder so Cinema knows where to look. Either that or you would have to add the project tex folder to your texture paths.

Return to posts index

Orrin Zucker
on Feb 22, 2011 at 8:46:33 pm

Texture Paths in Prefs did the trick- much thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Feb 22, 2011 at 8:53:59 pm

Glad to help. When you're done with the project you might want to clear the texture paths. They can slow Cinema a little because it expands where the program has to search.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]