MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Lights don't fade as they move far away

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Stanowski
Lights don't fade as they move far away
on Jan 12, 2010 at 10:21:31 pm

I posted this earlier but it's vanished. Maybe because I included a link?

Anyway, I have a C4D animation of a long tunnel which my camera moves backwards through. There are 3 lights it passes along the way. They are light models and actual lights. As the camera moves away from them I noticed that the lights are still as bright as they were when the camera was right under them. Should light fade or dim the further away it gets? Is there a parameter for the lights I should be animating as well? I know I can animate it's brightness but I would like to know if there were a way for this to happen on its own.

Thanks for any help.
And if someone can set me straight about posting links, I'll post a link to my video again.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Lights don't fade as they move far away
on Jan 13, 2010 at 3:11:22 am

You're looking for Falloff in the lights' details tab. Realistic behavior is inverse square, but whatever looks best....

Return to posts index

John Stanowski
on Jan 13, 2010 at 5:36:44 am

Thanks, I looked into this. I think my problem is actually the lights visibility. I have the light set to visible with volumetric rays emitted. Do you know if there's a way for that to falloff?

I'll try the clip link again: http://www.vimeo.com/8700104

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jan 13, 2010 at 7:18:56 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. The lights should not fade with distance unless there's some kind of atmospheric effect that's blocking them (dust, fog, haze, etc.) -- at least not over those distances. Figure that we can see stars that are billions of light years away....

But it you want them to fade you could use the environment object with fog, or keyframe the light's brightness.

Return to posts index

John Stanowski
on Jan 13, 2010 at 7:23:15 pm

Ahhh, cool, I'll try to add some atmosphere.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]