MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

C4D Compositing

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Murat Pak
C4D Compositing
on Dec 20, 2008 at 11:37:30 am

Hi there..

I'm trying to matchmove my render with my footage. I used boujou to track down the camera data, and it worked pretty clean.
Then I imported my video and camera data to C4D, to put my 3d elements.

Ok, here the problem starts.

About the ground object, I'm using a plane, frontal mapped with the background video (otherwise, I'm not sure how to create an object that'll hide what's behind, and still show reflections / shadows on it as rendered).

That worked pretty fine, too..

But I need to get them into after effects for compositing as seperate passes, and I'm stuck at this point.

Because when I get a multipass render, it also renders the floor (as the part of the video) and I need the floor for illumination/shadows/reflections but when I try to compose them with the exported AfterEffects file from C4D, it just looks very weird than the -without multipass- render of C4D.

I'm attaching some images, to show you what I mean, I hope there is a proper way to composite using AE with the exported elements of C4D.

r001direct.jpg >> direct render from C4D (without any multipasses)

r002setup.jpg >> my C4D setup (with the frontal projected ground object)

r003ae.jpg >> After effects export from c4d, look how weird it looks !

Return to posts index

Kenneth Kirkpatrick
Re: C4D Compositing
on Dec 22, 2008 at 3:11:29 am

Try putting a compositing tag on the object (or probably group in this case) and render out an object buffer in the multi pass render. (Said tag is found in the Objects pane under Tags - Cinema 4D Tags.) Assign another separate compositing tag/object buffer to the perspective plane accepting the shadows. You can use that as a luminance key to separate the object in question from the rest of the stuff visible in your rendered file. For this separate render, just assign a white texture (in the color channel) with no other channels in the material. With no channels except color it should render pretty fast.

For the render, enable multiple channel rendering, and render out the two (or more) object buffers and the shadow channel. (If you render as picture sequences be sure to check the Multi Layer File box.) You can use the shadow channel as a layer in After Effects (set to Multiply) to put the shadow of the object(s) on top of the source video.

Return to posts index

Matthew Marshall
Re: C4D Compositing
on Sep 10, 2009 at 2:26:11 am

OK so you're saying here basically tag each object you plan to render with a compositing/object buffer tag.

"Try putting a compositing tag on the object (or probably group in this case) and render out an object buffer in the multi pass render. (Said tag is found in the Objects pane under Tags - Cinema 4D Tags.)"
---Render out the objects first after you've tagged them. Select Multipass in the rendering settings and put the object buffer in there for the render.

"Assign another separate compositing tag/object buffer to the perspective plane accepting the shadows. You can use that as a luminance key to separate the object in question from the rest of the stuff visible in your rendered file. For this separate render, just assign a white texture (in the color channel) with no other channels in the material. With no channels except color it should render pretty fast."
---Render out the Plane after you've tagged it. Make the color white for a luminance channel, this plane will be composited in After Effects using Multiply. Therefore casting only shadows.

"For the render, enable multiple channel rendering, and render out the two (or more) object buffers and the shadow channel. (If you render as picture sequences be sure to check the Multi Layer File box.)"
--- and i am fuzzy right about here, so i do a third render with all of them?
Also when i do a test render (full render is animation therefore very long) i still see my text behind the plane. Basically my animation is sliding 3d text from behind a plane forwards so that it seems to appear from behind a wall and slide back in.

Therefore i still see my text waiting to slide in when i render as such.

In any case i used this tutorial
http://www.maxoncomputer.com/tutorial_detail.asp?tutorialID=243
to create a shadow catcher. Now i just need to figure out how to render it without seeing the text behind the plane.

Any Help would be appreciated. Sorry for the bump btw but this is the closest one to what i need i found on google search.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]