MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

looping cloth

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Biggs
looping cloth
on Feb 22, 2008 at 6:51:43 pm

Hi there,
we've recently invested in C4D are very impressed with it's intuitive workflow. We have a large project coming up producing several hundred flag animations which have to loop seamlessly. We have tried Zaxwerks 3D Flag but we need a much higher degree of realism. We've just downloaded a demo version of Mocca and have been evaluating the cloth tag feature. This gives excellent results but we are unsure how (or if it is indeed possible) to seemlessly loop cloth animations. We don't want to go down the road of spiltting the animation and adding a subtle dissolve; we really need the loop to be perfect. If anyone can give me any pointers it would be greatly appreciated. We don't do charater animation so purchasing Mocca would only be for the cloth feature, should it be possible to loop.
Many thanks,
Phil

Return to posts index

Lennart Wåhlin
Re: looping cloth
on Feb 22, 2008 at 9:21:09 pm

No, I don't think getting cloth to loop is possible per se.
Either try using several flagdeformers (sans turbulence that doesn't loop) in combo with loopable noise driving a DisplaceDeformer (incl in MoGraphModule).
The FlagDeformer loops at value"10" equals 1 second.

Or, by all means, use Cloth since it is, as you saw, does look good/real.
Your option is, and I've done very convincing looped Cloth flags this way, to do the
disolve trick -on the geometry-, not the rendered result.

Bake your cloth (using Capuccino or possible PointCasheTag) at , at least the double length
of you final result.
Then copy your baked result, swap the front end with the ending part (just as you would
do in ei AE.)
Add a PoseMixTag to a "dead" copy of your flag object (not animated but the same geometry)
Now you can disolve the animated flags geometry. Since it is no-destructive you can
move the disolve till you find the best spot as well as make several versions using the same
setup for slightly different results (All flags doesn't look exactly the same).

Cheers
Lennart Wåhlin - tcastudios

aka tcastudios

Return to posts index

Phil Biggs
on Feb 23, 2008 at 9:10:51 pm

Many thanks for your swift response, we'll give that a try.
Cheers,
Phil

Return to posts index

Lennart Wåhlin
on Jun 3, 2008 at 9:16:46 pm

I've made a short tut now how to.
The only error is that I say 6 instead of 3 seconds, but the principle is there.

ClothLoop 30Mb QT

Cheers
Lennart

aka tcastudios

Return to posts index

Eric Woods
on Jan 12, 2009 at 2:17:22 pm

I was following your Tutorial and it has been incredibly helpful. However, my cloth tag does not have the offset cache option. What version are you working with and is there away around using the offset cache method?

Return to posts index

Eric Woods
on Jan 12, 2009 at 4:41:56 pm

I answered my own question. I don't know how to get the offset cache option to appear, however there is a work around. After you duplicate the object go to the Duplicate and turn off Cache Mode. Go to the Tag Tab and uncheck "Auto" under the Cloth Engine option. If you change the start frame to (in this tutorial's case) 75 the flag will not change out of its initial state until the 75th frame. Therefor when you use the PoseMixer it work correctly for the rest of the tutorial. Also a Side Note. My PoseMixer was under the MOCCA tags menu not the Character Menu as in this tutorial.

GREAT tutorial though. Thank YOU!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]