MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Animated gradient alpha revealing lines...

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
silversurfer
Animated gradient alpha revealing lines...
on Nov 2, 2007 at 12:54:51 pm

Hello,

I know...sounds a bit confusing. I don't know how to explain it well so here goes.

I am trying to reverse engineer a spot element. It is a group of stacked 3D lines (5) in sort of a wavy spline shape that reveal on & off with an animated alpha gradient. I have been able to recreate perfectly the lines in 3D Stroke (using the Offset parameter to animate the lines across a wavy spline) and C4D but can't for the life of me figure out how that softness is created on the start & end.

Here are the frames containing the lines I am speaking of.

http://www.marasmalley.com/images/Americas.Cup.jpg

Here's the spot the lines appear in (10 mb):

http://www.digidojo.net/pics/tech_pics/animated_lines.mov

These lines wipe across the screen with a wide long gradiated transparency on each end. I can create these lines in AE & C4D but can't figure out how to do the transparency (it almost looks like a 3D track matte). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much :)

Joey

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Animated gradient alpha revealing lines...
on Nov 2, 2007 at 4:28:12 pm

I would use a layer shader in your alpha channel and multiply a gradient over your lines.

Return to posts index

silversurfer
on Nov 2, 2007 at 4:57:39 pm

Thanks for replying Adam. Can you expand on that please?? Modeling is not a problem for me but shaders are not my strong suit.

Thank you so much

Joe

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Nov 2, 2007 at 6:15:43 pm

It would probably be easier to look at an example.

Return to posts index

silversurfer
on Nov 2, 2007 at 6:41:21 pm

Awesome, Adam...thank you for posting that. One more thing...how is the actual wipe animated keeping both edges soft throughout?

Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Nov 2, 2007 at 9:07:13 pm

Ahh ... wellll ... hmmm ... that's going to be a little tricky! Guess I shoulda anticipated that one. :)

One way you could do it would be to use Xpresso to use the sweep start/end parameters to drive the position of the gradient points, but that's going to be pretty involved.

And easier way would be to use a texture in place of the layer shader in the alpha channel, and instead of actually animating the sweep, animate the texture tag's Y offset position. The downside is that you're not going to get a fade as the lines disappear completely. You can either hide that with spline/object placement, or you can add the effect in post with a little rotoscoping.

project file

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]