MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Illustrator CS2 to Cinema4D

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jake_mathew
Illustrator CS2 to Cinema4D
on Apr 5, 2006 at 3:55:04 pm

I've read similar posts about importing paths from illustrator to cinema4D, but for the life of me, I can not get it to work. I create a vector shape in Illustrator. I try to save as an Illustrator 8 file because thats what someone here said was the compatible format. There is no option to save as an illustrator 8 file in my menu. In fact, there is no way to save as any other version then a standard .ai file. (CS2) I also tried exporting but there was no option for Illustrator 8.

I've tried importing .ai files in general in C4D and it usually says "can not read file". I guess I am totally lost and a google search doesnt produce a good answer. Any help?

Return to posts index

vitaminman
Re: Illustrator CS2 to Cinema4D
on Apr 5, 2006 at 4:37:42 pm

Hey,

1. Make file in Illustrator
2. Go to file>export, select illustrator legacy as the file type
3. choose illustrator 8 as the version.

Take care,

Nick

Return to posts index

jake_mathew
on Apr 5, 2006 at 4:52:11 pm

I went to the Export menu (as well as the Save As menu) and there is definitely not a "illustrator legacy" option. You can save as photoshop, tiff, AutoCAD, swf, targa, etc. but nothing even related to illustrator at all. Am I smoking crack?? Or is my Illustrator messed up?

Return to posts index

MAX POWER
on Apr 5, 2006 at 5:05:07 pm

Hi there,

I was having the exact problem, and Google searches turned up nothing for me too. I am using Illustrator CS2 and Cinema 4D 9. I have just tried to take Nick's advice and export as Illustrator Legacy, and save as Illustrator 8... My CS2 does not offer any of these options, either as a 'save as' or an 'export'... What's the deal here? I really need to find out!

Return to posts index

MAX POWER
on Apr 5, 2006 at 7:54:18 pm

Nevermind! As soon as I posted I figured it out!

Return to posts index

jake_mathew
on Apr 5, 2006 at 9:31:34 pm

Feel free to share this information with me.... =P

Just kidding, I figured it out too. You just do a regular "Save As", (saving as an .ai file) and click OK, and then a SECOND menu (a menu I never pay attention to) comes up talking about preserving paths, being PDF compatible, saving outlines, etc. there is also a window at the very top that defaults to Version CS2, but u can switch the dropdown menu to choose a different version. Click Version 8 and save.

Then you can do a File> Open in Cinema 4D and open up that .ai file. Voila.

Wow...its rare that I end up answering my own post. =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]