3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Newbie Question: deselect vertice, edge or polygon?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karen WoodNewbie Question: deselect vertice, edge or polygon?
by on Apr 4, 2016 at 1:09:09 am

I learned that Max will remember the last selected vertice, edge or poly -but I cannot select anything else if a vertice, poly or edge is already selected.

The program seems to be functioning correctly -I can save, select buttons, menus, etc -no problem... Am I stuck in a tool without knowing it? I am not familiar enough yet to know how to deselect different polys, vertices or edges -at some point of my actions..

*Seems like the problem might be some Computer Problem or maybe a bug or something, I mean my inexperience with Max is probably a major factor here..

I'll exit the program and after restarting it, I can begin my re-selections and move forward with the tutorials (3-part hand tutorial on YouTube)

Thank you so much!
Thank you again!

Return to posts index

Karen WoodRe: Newbie Question: deselect vertice, edge or polygon?
by on Apr 4, 2016 at 9:58:10 pm

I am making the same mistake on three different computers.

Doing Hand Tutorial on YouTube, I begin modeling and do something that prevents selecting of edges, poly, or vertices at some point, so I restart Max, and am able to proceed....

I can't determine what I am stuck in.
Its as though I've3 begun to create a box, and forgot to right-click to exit the tool.

Is there any way to observe where I am in the middle of, so to speak?

Thanks again, again..

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Newbie Question: deselect vertice, edge or polygon?
by on Apr 6, 2016 at 9:07:07 pm

Karen -

It sounds as if you're missing a lot of the basic functionality of Max, and you really need to work your way through the Autodesk tutorials which come with Max, or are available on The Area:

Here's a good help section on how to work with vertices:

None of this extremely powerful functionality can be learned through just pecking and poking around and hoping you arrive at something useful. With Max, you have to plow your way through all of the beginner level tutorials before you'll even begin to approach a comfort level with Max. Here's a good link to the basics in Max:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved