3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Atmosphere effects and material opacity

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tigh TiefenbachAtmosphere effects and material opacity
by on Aug 18, 2015 at 6:52:29 pm

I'm working on a simple 3dsmax scene which uses textured planes for trees and foliage in the distance. But if I want to incorporate atmospheric fog into the scene, the transparent parts of those planes become visible, taking on the opacity of the fog and standing out as squares.

The quick solution was to change the fog parameters to Exponential, which makes all the planes seamlessly blend in. However the scene also includes a skybox texture which I don't want to be obscured by the atmospheric effects. If I disable the fog from affecting the background plane, the same squares of fog start appearing anywhere that the trees overlap the fog-free background.

All the objects in the scene are using Standard materials (Blinn) with PNG maps for all the objects with alpha. Is there a more advanced type of shader that will interact better with atmospheric effects?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Atmosphere effects and material opacity
by on Aug 19, 2015 at 5:12:10 pm

A couple of things to check in your current materials setup - make sure that any reflection maps are turned off (to zero percent), as well as any self-illumination.

You could also save the alpha channel separately as a greyscale image, then plug that image into the Alpha map slot.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved