3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Missing Texture Map Library

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John BeyerMissing Texture Map Library
by on Jun 1, 2015 at 9:08:45 pm

OK - I am somewhere just past dilettante user in 3D MAX. I have the 2012 Design Package. For a safety demonstration, I was asked to include 3D Characters in a scene that's otherwise a model of an oil platform. So I buy a work character model from Turbosquid (created in MAX 2011). I open the model, it shows up just fine - except the Texture Library default is completely missing, and I have to manually drag the jpegs onto the model, because the Material Editor isn't even showing the test spheres... Just empty black panels, no matter what Sample Type shape I click.

I figure: I'll import the default library. The only texture map library I can find is in the Program Files folder ( Autodesk>3dS Max Design 2012>materiallibraries ) and they are shortcuts! They don't really link to anything, I can't locate original (somehow), so I figure maybe I can import the platform model into the Character scene. Yes, I can, but I still have no library - I can't get the Material Editor to show me anything. So I thought maybe if I reverse process... Import the character into a model of the platform, which already has the default material library loaded up?

Here's the weirdest part - The character import gets completely warped and distorted on the import.

I am truly stumped on this, and could use anyone's help, even if its just conjecture.

Thanks! - JOHN BEYER

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Missing Texture Map Library
by on Jun 2, 2015 at 3:56:52 pm

This can be very confusing - it's still confusing to me, and I've been using Max for over 15 years! Part of the potential problem is in the way you decide to set up Max; if you go into to the Max Customize/Configure User Paths, you'll see that you can add pointers to where your maps and textures live. If you add the folders where you know your textures are, you won't get the missing textures warning.

I find that it's sometimes easier, when going from one client project to another, to setup my libraries local to that particular project, which puts everything where I need it, but only for that project. Confused yet? There's also the issue of User Paths being Relative or Absolute. You can read about that here:

There are pros and cons to deciding which way to set it up. I think you need to go in to the manual, or the Max tutorials on the Area website, and get some basic grounding in setting Max up to work for you. Good luck! I'm still learning!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved