3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Rendering for real life footage integration

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yan LigothRendering for real life footage integration
by on Jun 26, 2014 at 8:58:26 am

Anyone knows of any good tutorials on rendering elements for composite afterwards?
I am looking for a tutorial that can show, how to render different elements, as I am now challenged on how to render some glass elements I have to composite it behind and in front of a character. How do you render it out? The character is rotoscoped and I used a cutout to position it right in 3D space, but how to render those elements to composite in post?

Return to posts index

tim gallaherRe: Rendering for real life footage integration
by on Jul 18, 2014 at 9:08:37 pm

I'm not clear I understand what you are asking due to one or two run-on sentences in your post. I'm a beginner, but I might be able to help. Are you just trying to figure out how to render out elements so they can be composited in post? If so, just put a bright green object/screen behind them and then key it out in post. Are you asking how to put a video in the background of your elements because the elements' material is a type of glass? I can direct you to that as well, cuz I just did it. But it depends on the codec of the video and if 3dsm recognizes it or not. If it does, the process is simple. If it doesn't, you have to render out the video in an image sequence file and do it hat way. The latter is an involved process, and I'm not even sure that's what you want. Please clarify, and I might be able to help.

Return to posts index

Yan LigothRe: ndering for real life footage integration
by on Jul 18, 2014 at 9:16:16 pm

Let's say I have a character who jumps through a window. Due to safety, there is no window, so shattering needs to be done in post. So a human dummy creates glass shattering simulation. Glass pieces are in front and behind a character, now, how to composite it in post? How can I put him inside an action? It is easy to put cg behind or in front but I don't know how to put him inside, so that pieces are all around him, just as they are around a 3d dummy.

Return to posts index

tim gallaherRe: ndering for real life footage integration
by on Jul 18, 2014 at 9:41:08 pm

I see. That's clearer, thanks. This would be best done if you planned ahead and shot the character with this compositing process in mind. But you could split your glass particles into two events (not sure if you are using particle generation for the glass or not). Render out the ones that would be behind the character (from the camera's point of view) and then composite them into the scene. If you have a shot of the room/building without glass in the window and without the character, this would be best. But if not, matte out the character (which might require laborious rotoscoping if you already shot it). If you have a shot of the glassless window with no character, overlay the glass pieces on top of the scene. Then composite in your character. And either way, the final step would be to lay the final pieces of glass (the ones between the character and the camera) in the scene. You could use alpha channels or green screen for the glass background to make compositing easier.

There may be another/better way to do this, but that's what comes to mind. Hope it helps.

Return to posts index

Yan LigothRe: ndering for real life footage integration
by on Jul 19, 2014 at 12:07:01 am

Because he goes through the window, particles are first in front and then go past him. So rendering the way proposed not really possible...
The way I am doing now, is using z-depth pass in order to define where the particles are but I think the should be a better way of doing that.

Return to posts index

tim gallaherRe: ndering for real life footage integration
by on Jul 19, 2014 at 3:17:02 am

Maybe I misunderstand what you are going for, but you could replace your 3D dummy with a green screen/box. Render once with the box and once without. The box follows the movement of the character crashing through the window. That way you get one render with only glass in front of him/the screen and one render with all the glass. Then composite the All-The-Glass video behind him in After Effects or some compositing software where you can matte him out (or if you can composite him on top of the All-The-Glass file and then composite those on top of the window set without the character. Then composite the Glass-Infront-Of-The-Green-Screen layer over the whole thing. You'll double up on the glass behind him, but that can be easily dealt with. If you didn't shoot it in a way to make sure you can easily lift him out of the set it's gonna be a lot of rotoscoping to lift him, but it can be done.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]