3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

3D projection mapping and projector calibration

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felix Geen3D projection mapping and projector calibration
by on May 12, 2014 at 4:36:38 pm

Hi guys,

i've come to ask a question that to some might seem slightly confusing due to the route I have taken to get where I am. I am looking for a robust, scalable, flexible solution to achieving a 3D projection mapping effect with 3DS Max. To start with i have made a small scale test scene which i have taken into 3DS Max and i am trying to match to my virtual scene. I want to be able to accurately project my virtual 3D scene from 3DS Max back onto my real world scene.

Here is a photograph of my real-world scene and projector setup:

Here is a screenshot of a 123D-Catch 3D model I made of the scene using photographs:

And here is a screenshot of the scene in 3DS Max which I based off the 123D-Catch model and used as a scale reference:

What i need to do now is create a virtual camera inside 3DS Max that matches exactly my projectors position, rotation, zoom and lens etc. I cant get my head around the 3DS Max Camera Match tools and im not 100% these tools are even right for what i am trying to achieve.

The reason i am not using tools like VVVV, Mad mapper, resolume or even D3 is because i am very comfortable inside 3DS max and the effects i want to achieve i want to do inside 3DS Max. Can anyone help me get past this last hurdle?

Thanks for hearing me ramble.
Kind regards,

Return to posts index

David ChappellRe: 3D projection mapping and projector calibration
by on May 14, 2014 at 5:10:34 pm

I think you'll always have an issue with approaching it this way as a camera lens obviously makes a lot of difference - 35mm/20mm/50mm etc.
But a projector doesn't work like a lense,they simply project - so the way the image is hitting you objects further away than the ones closer to the projector won't be accounted for.

What you could try is putting a square light in the 3dsMax scene and playing around with it until you get the same light fall 'box' that you have in your real world setup with the projector switched on - then put your camera in the same spot.

David Chappell
Creative : 3D : Motion graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved