3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

3ds max 2011 to 2014 Mental ray performance issues

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Quantrill
3ds max 2011 to 2014 Mental ray performance issues
on May 12, 2014 at 2:10:28 pm

I've noticed a considerable performance drop between the two versions running Mental Ray with Skylight lighting in the scene with shadows enabled. In 3ds max 2011, the renders are considerably fast, I use this to make corporate animations speedy as hell! In 3ds max under the new Nvidia Mental Ray, its dog slow in comparison and thats with the image precision settings quite low. Just want to check I'm not missing something here to get things running fast again. Can't find much on the net about this. Same computer both versions running, I'd say 3ds max is close to 5-8 times faster knocking out these scenes.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Tim Rabb
Re: 3ds max 2011 to 2014 Mental ray performance issues
on Oct 14, 2014 at 8:31:36 am

Hi Stephen...did you find a solution to your 3ds max Mental ray performance issues. I'm haveing the same issues.

Return to posts index

Stephen Quantrill
Re: 3ds max 2011 to 2014 Mental ray performance issues
on Oct 14, 2014 at 2:23:19 pm

Hi Tim, unfortunately not. I noticed that there is a difference in the quality of ambient occlusion between the two versions, in 3ds max 2014 which I'm using the mental ray renderer creates greater shadow detail and quality closer to v-ray than in 3ds max 2011. However I have both versions installed (2011 and 2014) to manage this, in case I need to render out something faster on a tight time scale, I'll save the scene back to 2011 version and render from there.

Apologies I haven't been able to look into this. Let me know if you find a better solution or workaround.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]