3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Adjustable 3d max packaging template/plugin

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joey campbellAdjustable 3d max packaging template/plugin
by on Mar 15, 2014 at 1:38:06 pm

Hi Is there an adjustable 3d max template, script or plugin for rendering product packaging (boxes/tubs/containers) ?
I have to render a lot of food packaging and was wondering if something existed that could save time by somehow reading the fold lines in the flattened illustrator wrappers? I know that strata 3d can do something like this but the results dont seem to be very polished (no reflection or bump maps).

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Adjustable 3d max packaging template/plugin
by on Mar 15, 2014 at 5:26:06 pm

I don't know about adjustable, but there are tons of food packaging models on Turbosquid, most of them pretty cheap:

If you do a search on just Packaging in TurboSquid, you'll find even more, some free.

Quite a bit of stuff here for free:

And more:

Quite a bit of stuff on GrabCAD as well:

I think the only way you're going to get parametric packaging is if you model a single package while recording to Max Script, then turn that recording into a script with input boxes. It's not rocket science, but you'll have to decide whether it's worth your time. Otherwise, just tweak the models you purchase, or learn poly modeling, which isn't a big stretch, either.

I don't know of a way in Max to get the fold lines to help create the model, but that doesn't mean there isn't a way. As far as I know, you have to bring your texture map in from AI, then create the map with UnwapUVW, a somewhat time consuming chore, but it gets faster with experience.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved