3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Extending texture over every object in a complex scene?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Hugo Fernandez
Extending texture over every object in a complex scene?
on Mar 11, 2014 at 2:56:08 am

Hi, there's an interesting effect I've been wondering about for a while and which I've seen in quite a few projects. It's this thing where they start overlaying the same texture (usually a single colour) over every object in a fluid way. What would be the best way to go about that?

In a static shot the easiest approach seems to be just do it on postproduction but how would you do it when you have to animate the camera? Right now I'm thinking about replicating it with a camera projection but some parts of the objects would be blocked by other objects unless I used multiple cameras and therefore the effect wouldn't apply on those, and coordinating the animation on multiple cameras seems problematic

Any suggestion?

Return to posts index

David Chappell
Re: Extending texture over every object in a complex scene?
on Mar 12, 2014 at 11:28:02 am

You could try selecting every object in your scene and then apply your single material to them all - then (with all objects selected) add a UVW Map and apply it as planar - then hit View Align (from your optimal camera position). That way it will also texture the parts you can't see.

Then you could render this animation as a separate pass and if you want comp it with your original render.

D.

---
David Chappell
Creative : 3D : Motion graphics

http://www.IncidentalTrees.co.uk
http://www.WhichDimension.com

Return to posts index

Victor Hugo Fernandez
Re: Extending texture over every object in a complex scene?
on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:11:08 pm

Brilliant! As always the most obvious thing does the work. Using a planar projection seems to do the trick so I don't think I'll need View Align, though it's an interesting function I didn't know about and I'll experiment with it in the future.

Thanks, really :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]