3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Max optimization question

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad BusséMax optimization question
by on Jan 2, 2014 at 8:05:18 pm

I haven't worked in Max in several years and was hoping someone can help me figure out why I'm having some discrepancies between two workstations. One is an older 2.8 GHz i7, 4 GB of RAM, Radeon 5800 series with 1 GB VRAM, running the 2014 demo version of Max. The other system is a 3.7 Ghz i7, 16 GB of RAM, Radeon 7800 series with 2 GB VRAM, running the full version of 2013 Max.

When I load a character scene into the slow system, it works as expected. However, when loading on the fast system, the system hangs for 10-25 seconds every time that I scrub the timeline to bring the character to a different pose. I updated to Max SP2, installed latest hotfix, updated to latest whql AMD driver, emptied temp folder, but none of that helped. When Max is busy hanging I see that very little CPU resources are being used, about 40% RAM is available, disk seems to be hovering around 66 MB/s (it runs up to 125 MB/s when first loading the scene). Is there some kind of drastic changes under the hood in version 2014 vs. 2013? Any suggestions for what else to try to get the newer workstation behaving faster? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brad BusséRe: Max optimization question
by on Jan 2, 2014 at 10:00:58 pm

Looks like I resolved this. I wasn't sure if I had installed Product Update 6 so I re-ran that and defragged the hard drive while waiting for good measure. Viewport hang time dropped from 10-25 seconds to 2-3 seconds.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved