3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Wanting to round edges of an object

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caitlin StevensonWanting to round edges of an object
by on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:48:33 am

So I've made a button which I'm rather proud of, but I'm having trouble smoothing it out to be rounded like a button should be. The link to the image is below (I hope I did this right, I'm not used to this kind of posting), I have smoothing applied to the edge of it there at 180. It's as smooth as the modifier will allow, yet as you can see the edges are still sharp.

I remember seeing in some tutorial a while back a way to get it to make curves between the vertices rather than straight lines, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. So, how do I make this smooth as a button? It's an editable mesh, I haven't made it an editable poly because those holes were made with boolean and some weird edges appear on the top and bottom that can't be removed when I make it an EP.

Thank you very much for any help!

Return to posts index

Valkan PavlovRe: Wanting to round edges of an object
by on Jan 30, 2014 at 6:05:49 pm

Đžbviously you need more geometry. You have to make it poly and adjust the geometry, if you wish a nice mesh, to be used in some engine. However you can do this shape, very easy with splines. Make a circle (1 big and 4 smaller), adjust their radius and position them, than convert the biggest one in "Editable Spline", "Attach" to it the rest of the circles, go to interpolation, and chek "Adaptive", or just increase steps, to 20 or more. Then add "Bevel" modiffier, set Level1 to some "Height" and positive "Outline", give to Level2 only "Height", and set the same "Height" as in "Level1", to "Level3", and the same but negative "Outline".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved