3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

setting a specific object size

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Debbie Rodriguezsetting a specific object size
by on Sep 17, 2013 at 3:54:10 pm

Hi, I'm really new to 3ds max and this may seem like a really basic question.

How can I set a specific size of an object? I am using the program for really basic modelling that then will be 3d printed. (promotional items like key chains, magnets, jewelry)

Right now I have two greek letters for my sorority that are set up in two different files in 3d max. When I upload them to have them 3d printed they are slightly different sizes. How can I specify that I want each object to be say 3 inches x 3 inches by .50 inches?

I see the dimensions under object properties but I can't click in and change them.

I have gone through a bunch of tutorials but still can't find an answer.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: setting a specific object size
by on Sep 17, 2013 at 7:31:25 pm

You have to go into your preferences and set the units to be whatever system you want to use - in this case inches. Max defaults to a generic unit which does not reference real world measurement.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Debbie RodriguezRe: setting a specific object size
by on Sep 17, 2013 at 8:29:21 pm

Thanks Joe, I do have my preferences set to cm as that is what the 3d upload site recommends, my problem is I can't get my two letters to be the same size. I dont know if you can see it in the photo, but the sigma letter is 5.284cmx5.847 cm and .5 deep. The kappa letter is 6.934cmx6.822 cm x .5 the depth is fine because I can specify that in extrude, how can I get the letters the same width and height?

any help is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: setting a specific object size
by on Sep 18, 2013 at 1:25:08 am

I see what you're talking about. Have you checked the letters in Windows Character Map to make sure that they're not actually different sizes? It doesn't make sense that they would be, but some fonts have strange settings. You could also check this (and maybe have) in Max, just type the two characters in the same Text box to make sure.

The only workaround I can think of is to type the two letters in two different text boxes, then size them by eye, in the same Z Space of course. Then extrude them. You'll probably never get them the same width, since letter widths vary from character to character.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]