3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

An introduction to 3ds max - my first lecture, feedback appreciated

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nick tallentsAn introduction to 3ds max - my first lecture, feedback appreciated
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 8:01:51 pm

Hi All!

I have been asked to write a lecture which is introducing newbies to 3ds max which is something I haven't done before.

I can obviously do this based around my own experiences but I thought it would be beneficial to open this up to the creative community to see if anyone has anything to share about their first experiences with the software and any methods or techniques that would have helped them ease into what is a pretty big and scary piece of software when you first encounter it.

What would have helped to make it simpler for you? Would an explanation of geometry and the 3d creation process have helped before even opening max, or would it have been better to just get into it and start creating and rendering some shapes?

These are just a few examples of what I'm getting at, please let me know your thoughts and experiences when first getting started with max?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your responses

"Life's a progress bar"

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: An introduction to 3ds max - my first lecture, feedback appreciated
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 5:45:52 pm

Hi Nick -

When I first started with Max, I had been doing some work with TrueSpace, but had given up on it when they never developed Volumetric Lighting. On the switch to Max, I remember not getting it for some time - then the light went on after a month or so working through tutorials. I was working at a broadcast TV facility, and most of what I was going to use Max for was flying titles and the occasional full 3D Open for News packages and specials.

The first aspect I worked on was learning to create the parametric models (cubes, spheres, pyramids, etc.), and learning how the basic animation worked. Then 3D text from Illustrator files, which was where I designed logos which needed to be brought into Max. Then lighting. The "diving in and doing it" was absolutely necessary, because Max is so feature rich, that you can spend weeks reading about it, and still not "get it".

I firmly believe that the best way to learn Max, or any complex software package, is to decide roughly what you're going to want to create and where it's going (AE, for example), and then combine the tutorials with the hands on work of learning the interface. A book, such as one of the 3DSMax Bibles, should be imperative, since it lays out all of the capabilities; you would never see this just working your way through tutorials and using Max. The books also show you many of the pitfalls you will run into with lighting, texturing, and rendering, places where only experience can guide you to the correct solutions.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

nick tallentsRe: An introduction to 3ds max - my first lecture, feedback appreciated
by on Oct 3, 2013 at 1:12:50 pm

Thanks so much for your input, and im sorry for the late reply.
Thats an interesting take and one I will look to incorporate.
The students have never been exposed to the software before and so I had to rght back to the basics of
"whats is 3D, and where did it come from" Ed catmull etc etc
I think maybe in the second semester they can take the "what do I want to achieve" stance

Thanks again for your input

"Life's a progress bar"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved