3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

trouble importing illustrator spline

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Hooper
trouble importing illustrator spline
on Apr 2, 2013 at 10:04:07 am

Hey guys, I'm having trouble importing an illustrator file into my max scene. I've used a project file from digital tutors and that imports fine. I'm aware that I need to convert the illustrator file to version 8 or older, but I still get the error message "Improper file format".

I have multiple closed splines that make up a logo of my initials, with no fill or outlines. I've even chucked everything onto a single layer but still fails to import. I even used the ai. file from digital tutors and replaced the spline with my own logo but then it only seems to import the canvas area (2 rectangles). I'm now out of ideas.

any insight would be appreciated.
thanks in advance!
Eugene

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: trouble importing illustrator spline
on Apr 2, 2013 at 1:34:34 pm

Did you Convert to Outlines in Illustrator before you tried importing to Max? You can't just import the text to Max - you have to convert it to splines/outlines first. Everything else seems as if it should be working. That's the only other thing I can think of - I've made the mistake many times in the past...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Eugene Hooper
on Apr 2, 2013 at 8:05:54 pm

Hey thanks for the reply. I made the logo with the pen tool, so they are already splines. They are all closed shapes, nothing complex - no curves, just straight edges.

cheers
Eugene

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 2, 2013 at 8:36:46 pm

That's strange - the only other problem I've ever run into with Illustrator files is that they're not saved in an old enough format -Illustrator 8.

One other thing to try, and this is going to sound ridiculous - try saving the .ai file (you are saving as a .ai file, I hope?) as a one word file name, no spaces or anything. It sometimes does the trick...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Eugene Hooper
on Apr 2, 2013 at 9:29:34 pm

yep, been saving as a ai file, v8. ok I'll give that a go when I get home and report back.

thanks!
Eugene

Return to posts index

Eugene Hooper
on Apr 3, 2013 at 9:41:34 am

I saved it out simply as "logo.ai" (in v8) and turns out the same error. any other ways of bringing in this data? other acceptable file formats?

cheers,
Eugene

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 3, 2013 at 1:11:52 pm

As far as I know - the .ai is the best way - of course not in this case. You might try some of the CAD formats - dxf or dwg - I'm not sure which other ones Illustrator will output, but they'd be listed in the Max help file.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Eugene Hooper
on Apr 3, 2013 at 7:59:23 pm

I just ended up using my logo in the background viewport and recreating the logo from scratch in max. It's made up of fairly simple rectangular shapes so it didn't take long. I'll try those other formats though as I'll definitely need to import splines again in the future.

thanks!
Eugene

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 7, 2013 at 5:15:16 pm

I'm glad you figured out a workaround, Eugene. One thing you might try in the near future is to create a graphic from scratch in Illustrator, then import it to Max, and see if the problem might have been with the file, rather than the import process.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Eugene Hooper
on Apr 7, 2013 at 9:05:36 pm

great, thanks for the advice.

cheers
Eugene

Return to posts index