3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Shape Merge Problem

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Kunchev
Shape Merge Problem
on Feb 14, 2013 at 12:20:02 pm

Hi guys,

I have a nooby problem with the Shape Merge Compound Object in 3DS Max. When I make a round object,
(extruded ellpise for example) and then shape merge it with a spline shape that has also round cornes, I get a rather unsatisfying result. The round object (in this case the ellipse) loses its smoothness and to make it look good again I convert it to edit poly and spend hours moving vertices around.
Do you know a fast and better way to make the ellipse look good and smooth again or to shape merge it without losing its smoothness?
I have also uploaded an image so that you can see what I mean.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Shape Merge Problem
on Feb 14, 2013 at 3:04:45 pm

I think it may be an issue with not enough vertices where the merge happens. It sounds as if you want the objects to hold their original shapes better, so you'd need to add a couple of extra verts right near areas where the merge will occur.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris Kunchev
on Feb 14, 2013 at 6:35:21 pm

I tried it already.. but it didn`t work, when you come closer to the object you still see the lack of smoothness ..
It helps only when I add about 200 more vertices but that makes the object too high poly :|
but still thanks for the response

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 15, 2013 at 1:35:55 am

Are you adding vertices by hand, or are you using the Refine button in the Spline editing mode - it might be quicker to use the refine process.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris Kunchev
on Feb 16, 2013 at 9:21:11 am

I`m adding the vertices by making the interpolation steps higher and by refine-ing ..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]