3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Beginner question on creating polygons

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan freshmanBeginner question on creating polygons
by on Dec 6, 2012 at 7:16:16 pm

I have a simple plane that I have converted to an editable poly. I add the material of a building I have and wish to extrude a few of the windows. I am having trouble creating the polygons in desired locations. I have succeeded with Quickslice but that doesn't seem optimal in putting the polygons exactly where I want. I feel like i've been close with other tools in the editable polygon list but nothing works. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I apologize if this is a very simple solution....sometimes those answers are the hardest to find in a such a large sea of information

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Beginner question on creating polygons
by on Dec 6, 2012 at 11:32:13 pm

There are many ways to achieve what you are trying to do - you can start by taking some of the tutorials on the YouTube Max Channel:

There's a great book from Focal Press:

And there are lots of tutorials on The Area, Autodesk's support and tutorials site:

There are also several scripts available for free on Scriptspot which will help make your polymodeling easier.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Matt FawRe: Beginner question on creating polygons
by on Dec 11, 2012 at 2:24:24 am

Hey Dan,

Planes are not always the easiest geometry to build with, because they are essentially 2-dimensional. A box may make an easier wall (just keep it slender).

Then when you want to cut holes in the wall I'd use the proboolean modifier. Create another box that has the right dimensions for a window, with some extra z-depth. Place it where you want the first window in the first row and column, and shift-move the box to the spot you want your next window in the row, and it will give you the option to clone that box, as many times as you'd like, at that same interval. In one move, you have the boxes which will create every window on that floor. Then, once you have the entire row of boxes created, select them all, and shift-move downward to clone all the floors, so all windows on all levels are regular. Make sure you clone on instance, so you can adjust the boxes later, if need be.

Once you have all your boxes, one each for window you want to create, select and move the entire grid, so the boxes intersect with your wall, jutting out on both sides. Select the wall itself, and under create>compound objects, choose proboolean. Then use subtraction, and pick all the intersecting boxes. Those boxes will then vanish, leaving just your wall, with all the windows cut out.

Then for windows, you can create a plane, add an extrude modifier to it, and then choose "architectural" instead of standard for your material, and select the pre-made template of clear glass. You can clone all the windows into place using the same cloning technique as above.

Matt Faw
Consciousness 3D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved