3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Anyone want to take a guess at what's causing this odd selection behaviour?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jody NixxAnyone want to take a guess at what's causing this odd selection behaviour?
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 12:11:15 am

I'm using 3DS Max 2013 (Sp2). My computer is a laptop with 4 gigs RAM, Intel Core Duo 2.2 GHz and an Intel 4500 GMA (built in).

When I select an object...some of the polygons don't turn red. They are definitely selected but the red flashes on and off as I maneuver around the object.

I'm going to say it's my video card. The thing is though...I can do anything in 3DS Max with this laptop and have no other weird anomalies....this is the only one I've seen.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Anyone want to take a guess at what's causing this odd selection behaviour?
by on Oct 18, 2012 at 1:22:39 pm

Hi Jody -

My guess as well would be that it's the built in video card. The other possibility is the video card driver, which, since it's built in, probably can't be updated. The other possibility you might check is to see that if an object with many fewer polygons, say a square with two faces on each side converted to editable poly, will exhibit the same behavior. If it does, you might just need more RAM.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Jody NixxRe: Anyone want to take a guess at what's causing this odd selection behaviour?
by on Oct 18, 2012 at 4:32:14 pm

Hey thanks for your reply Joseph. I'm quite certain too it's a hardware deficiency. I wanted to double check though before I got too far into trouble shooting. I've been more or less just playing around with the trial version of Max (and others)which is why I only have it on my laptop.

I'm going to try it on my main computer which is much more powerful.

Thanks again for your insight.

-Jody

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]