3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Any suggestions on Glass Material?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew RobsAny suggestions on Glass Material?
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 5:28:51 pm

Hey Everyone,

So I have to animate some glass breaking, specifically picture frames breaking. I got the animation down and the physics, which would normally seem like the hard part, but for the life of me, I cannot get the actual material to look like glass. I've tried rendering with the video footage on there (my render output is an image sequence), no luck. I tried rendering on the blank black alpha channel so that After Effects mattes it out automatically, nothing. I changed the environment to green to mimic a green-screen, again, no luck.

So I was wondering if anyone could assist me in finding a solution. All I need is to make my thin planes look like glass, but it needs to be visible. I know there has to be a simple way to do this, but I cannot seem to figure it out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Any suggestions on Glass Material?
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 8:20:05 pm

Generally speaking, glass textures in Max doesn't show up until they have something to reflect, whether that's an environment map, a reflection map, or, if you've got ray-tracing setup, some elements in the scene. I generally create an array of white rectangles, with a two-sided material, so I don't have to worry when I rotate them. Set these at angles that will reflect into the camera, and you'll get some glass. Just like in the real world, glass doesn't look like anything until it reflects something.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Matt FawRe: Any suggestions on Glass Material?
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 8:17:08 pm

Hi Rob. Like Joe said, there needs to be some reflection in order for glass to look right; you can also map a photograph bitmap to the reflection channel, and have it "reflect" a realistic scene.

Glass is also defined by its refraction (how much it bends light that passes through it), so the shattering pieces should alter the scene, as seen through them.

One useful solution is the architectural set of materials. In a new material pane, next to the text box for the name of the material there is a button that says "Standard". Click on it, and the material/map browser opens. Click on Architectural; this opens a different set of material parameters than the standard ones. Under "Templates", pull down to "Glass-Clear". The settings are pretty much good to go. The "Incidence of Refraction" for glass is default set to 1.5 (1.0=air), so light will bend through the material in a realistic way.

Matt Faw
Consciousness 3D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved