3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Assigning a material to an object

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James RomaniukAssigning a material to an object
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 5:00:00 pm

Hi, Creative Cow

First of all, I'd like to say that I'm a complete novice to 3ds max. As such, I'm sure this is a fairly basic problem, and that I've done something stupid in order to create this problem.

I am following the book '3ds max modelling for games', and have just modelled a basic barrel. I have created the texture map to instruction, but when I click 'apply material to selection', the barrel does not display the texture map, but a light grey colour. Since then, I have discovered that this colour is the diffuse colour, that I can successfully change to alter the barrel's colour.

The problem, then, is that 3ds max is displaying the diffuse colour, rather than the map I have assigned. If anyone can help me, I would be extremely grateful.

add. information: -the texture map is a .jpg file, I have the same problem when it is a .png file
-the same problem occurs when i try to use a different image
-the same problem occurs when i try to apply any image in a different project using a blinn basic map, but I can successfully apply images to a multi-sub object

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Assigning a material to an object
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 7:34:00 pm

James -

I think you need to work your way through the basic tutorials which you can find on the YouTube Max Channel:

It may be that you need to apply a UVW map to your barrel, or any number of other basic things that you need to know. You've got a steep learning curve ahead of you, but it's worth your time.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved