3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Creating twinkle lights from a town in the distance at night

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian HigginsCreating twinkle lights from a town in the distance at night
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 9:00:34 pm

I am trying to setup an area of a lanscape to simlulate the lights of a town at night in the distance, then animate it to have the lights all extinguish in sections like a power outage.

Can anyone suggest some methods for accomplishing this, while also considernig I am somewhat of a beginner to 3ds MAx.

Best,

Brian

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Creating twinkle lights from a town in the distance at night
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 4:12:54 pm

Brian -

This is not really a job for a beginner. I would suggest you start digging in to every Max tutorial you can find. That said, my first thought on it would be to make a texture map for the lit part of the town, break that map into sections, so that they can go out section by section, then use a glow on the material map for the textures, or use the texture's self-illumination slot.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Brian HigginsRe: Creating twinkle lights from a town in the distance at night
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 11:15:31 am

Thanks Joe, there is really no visible aspects of the town, it is a night scene, and all you see are the lights in the distance. So what I have done so far is create small planes to look like groups of windows of varying sizes in the distance, then used a standard target direct light source on each group of windows to illuminate them, then just turned of the light sources in a sequence to simulate the power outage. somewhat tedious but looks OK for my current needs.

Added some glow and star lens effects to add to the realism, but not happy with the star efect, any suggestions for adding that glint or flare to make the illuminated windows look more real?

Brian

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Creating twinkle lights from a town in the distance at night
by on Aug 23, 2012 at 1:05:17 am

I think that maybe you should lose the star effect - distant lights generally have just a specular point, with maybe a slight glow around them, depending on the haze and atmospheric conditions. You might want to try adding a bit of fog or haze as well.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]