3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

File opening

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James WilliamsFile opening
by on May 3, 2012 at 3:45:37 pm

Hello! I am new to and trying to learn 3ds Max. I have downloaded the program and all files relating to the program. I have tried to find a solution from Autodesk, but I get no answer. The problem is, when I try to open a file to start a tutorial, all I get is "file open failed". It gives me no reason why it failed to open. I uninstalled the entire program with the files and reinstalled everything, but I still get the same result "file open failed". I was told by an individual to go to the merge dialog box and select half of the objects to merge and see if the corrupted object is contained in that section. I can't even find a merge dialog box,and besides that it is not just one file that won't open. None of the files will open. All I get for every file is "file open failed. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: File opening
by on May 20, 2012 at 7:49:47 pm

My first question would be, "is this a legal copy of the program?". Follow that up with what is the file extension you're trying to open. Then what version of Max do you have. Don't be offended that I asked the "legal" question - when you say "downloaded" the file, it implies that it may not have been purchased.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

James WilliamsRe: File opening
by on May 20, 2012 at 8:27:38 pm

My program is the student version. It is Autodesk 3ds Max 2011. The files are all from the 3ds Max - tutorials - files.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: File opening
by on May 24, 2012 at 1:37:41 pm

Hi James -

Is it possible that the tutorial files are newer than the version of Max 2011 that you have? Max isn't compatible with newer versions of .max files. Check the created date on the tutorial files and see if that's the problem.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

James WilliamsRe: File opening
by on May 24, 2012 at 3:53:35 pm

Thanks! I'll try checking that when I re-install the program, but I'm quite sure I installed everything correctly before.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]