3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Making a building collapse, please. 3ds max

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ivonne Villanueva
Making a building collapse, please. 3ds max
on Mar 27, 2012 at 7:27:29 pm

Hi,

I'm a regular user of 3ds max (not an expert) but I'd really like to learn how to make a building to collapse.

To be more precise, here you can watch exactly what I'm talking about, at second 00:36.

Please, I hope somebody could tell me if it is really complicated, if I need a plug in or if I can do it easily. It doesn't look that hard, so maybe someone could tell me about a tutorial or something.

Thank you so much, I appreciate any help :)

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Making a building collapse, please. 3ds max
on Mar 28, 2012 at 3:55:42 pm

It appears to me that the collapse is more of a visual trick than an actual 3D collapse done in Max. If you look closely, you'll notice that as the broken pieces turn sideways they have no dimension - this indicates to me that the effect was done in After Effects with a very creative use of the Shatter plugin, which comes with AE. That said, you can add dimension to the shattered pieces in the plugin - there's a thickness slider to do just that.

Notice that none of the rubble ever hits the ground - it just sort of fades into the dark. Looks to me like a Shatter effect in which the shatter point is animated toward the ground over time, and a mask is put over the layer, so you don't see that the rubble never hits ground. And of course, all the collapse reveals is a darker version of the same building image, not the interior of the building. That's my opinion on it. Just look up Shatter and After Effects, and you'll find what I'm talking about. You can use the shatter patterns that come with it, or create your own. Good luck!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Ivonne Villanueva
on Mar 28, 2012 at 7:17:03 pm

Thank you so much Joseph, that was really helpful!
I've looking for a tutorial for days and now I see why I can't find it!
I'm trying also to make the effects like in the minute 1:24 (same video) or like a pattern of cubes coming out of the building. I can do it maybe one by one, but I'm trying to see if there is any plug in or tool to make look that smoth and like so tidy.

I'm sorry if my questions are really basic, I know how to make models but I'm kind of new in the animation process.

Again, thank you so much for you answer about the collapse building, Joseph!

Ivonne.

Thank you all!

Return to posts index

Ivonne Villanueva
on Mar 28, 2012 at 7:30:58 pm

Here's another example of what I'd like to do. Some tiles, cubes, and tidy patterns like at the beggining of the video :)

I can do it easily if I do independent cubes or boxes, but if I have a plane, one single big box and I want to make small cubes coming out of it, I just don't know how it can be done.

Thank you so much! I'll appreciate any advice :)

Return to posts index

Ivonne Villanueva
on Mar 28, 2012 at 7:48:12 pm

Essentially, I would like to be able to make any or a few animations on this last video that I posted :) Maybe some tutorial links will help or just the tools that I need to use and then I'll figure out how to use them, just to have an idea :)

Thanks Joseph.

Thank you all!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]