3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Using Sine/Cosine in Parameter Wiring

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas MaCoyUsing Sine/Cosine in Parameter Wiring
by on Mar 2, 2012 at 3:51:29 am

Can't seem to find any straight forward references so I'll give a shot here: Basically, is there a trick to using trig functions in a parameter wiring expression?
I'm setting up a model with various moving bits, most of which rotate around one axis; my usual approach is to setup a dummy control object and wire all the moving bits back to it with the appropriate multiplier or divider. In this case though, I've got one long box that I want to rotate back and forth: 0 degrees, to 30 degrees, to -30 degrees, and back to 0, while the other objects rotate through a full 360. For simplicity's sake I'd like to wire it back to the same dummy control object (rather than going into the curve editor and setting up a separate ping pong curve) and figured (reaching back to high school trig) a sine function would work. However, when I put in, say sin(X_rotation) for Box's Y Rotation (or x or z) there's no sign of any back and forth movement no matter how far I rotate the dummy object; it just keeps rotating slowly in the same direction, as though I'd entered something like X_rotation/10 in the control expression. From the math I remember (and what my calculator says), it should rotate 1 degree when the dummy hits 90, back to 0 when the dummy hits 180, to -1 when dummy reaches 270, and 0 again when the dummy reaches 360. (And from there I can add a multiplier of *10 or *30 or whatever I need to get the amount of rotation I'm looking for).
So that rambled a bit, but I'm hoping there's just an odd detail I'm missing in how the expression's entered that'll get the behavior I'm going for. Any helps appreciated, thanks.

Return to posts index

Thomas MaCoyRe: Using Sine/Cosine in Parameter Wiring
by on Mar 3, 2012 at 4:31:37 am

And solved, for anyone that comes across it. It's a quick in the way Max (at least as of 9) treats degrees and radians; changing the expression at follows degtoRad(sin(radtoDeg Y_Rotation)), converting the dummy rotation to Degrees and then back to Radians after taking the Sin does the trick.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved