3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Recreating a real life object in 3Ds Max. (and breaking it)

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Barnes
Recreating a real life object in 3Ds Max. (and breaking it)
on Dec 23, 2011 at 10:02:33 am

Sorry if the title isn't descriptive enough, but I'm sure what the process of doing this is called.

Basically I would like to recreate a wall from inside my footage in 3Ds Max but without changing its looks. Then I want my actor to be able to come in and break the wall. This is really hard to explain, but I do have a video of the type of thing I'm trying to achieve.

From 0-10 Seconds:

I would assume I would have to use some 3d motion tracking, and rotoscope out the person in the shot. But as for matching the wall perfectly to my scene is what I would really like to know how to do.

Thanks in advance!
-Jon

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Recreating a real life object in 3Ds Max. (and breaking it)
on Dec 23, 2011 at 5:17:25 pm

Hi Jon -

It's the 3D motion tracking (camera tracking) which allows you to match in the wall via camera matching (and either rotoscoping or chroma keying). You'll find a complete education right here at The Foundy's website:

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/cameratracker/training/

I've been looking at camera tracking software for a while, and this seems to be the most bang for the buck. Many of the others are upwards of a thousand dollars. Camera Tracker for AE is 280 dollars, or you can rent it per project for a minimum 70 dollar (US) rental, which would give you a month to learn and apply it. Pretty good deal.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Craig Gordon
Re: Recreating a real life object in 3Ds Max. (and breaking it)
on Mar 20, 2012 at 8:05:58 am

The process isnt simple but i have achieved this effect before.

I think I matchmoved a 100x100x5 box to the position of the wall, fractured it with the rayfire plugin, added a Matte/Shadow material on fractures that dont fall in the simulation, added a color to the other fractures that is similar to the color of the wall (in the example = grey) and left a brick texture behind the fractures. its really hard to explain. sorry if thats unclear. the matte/shadow material for the fractures that dont move is the key to the effect though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]